best fitting cage??

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

jacobgiles

best fitting cage??

#1 Post by jacobgiles » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:51 am

who makes the best fitting cage? i have a 72 nova that i am going to install a 10 point in.
Last edited by jacobgiles on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:34 pm

I used the S & W 8 point cage in mine, then attempted to use their 10 point conversion to add the front bars. I did not like the way the cage conversion bars were going to turn out at all, the bends near the front pillar looked to be all wrong. However the 8 point part of the cage (rear) worked out very well.

That S & W cage conversion is in the shed LOL.

I next bought a Chris Alston front cage conversion and was pretty happy with the way it fit (runner style, not a halo). There are some cost savings in most of the country for shipping. UPS doesn't want to ship cages out of California, but will from S & W, so make sure and check on that first. You want to avoid truck freight if you can.

If I had it to do over again I would take it to a professional chassis shop like David Lemmond's and have them put a full chrome moly cage in it. I think it's about a 40 lb weight savings with the moly if not more.

novaz

72 roll cage

#3 Post by novaz » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:45 pm

I have a 10pt comp engineering one in my 72 which is pretty good except the door diagonals do not leave much entry /exit room it did not come with the seat restraint which is going to be compulsory next year i think my welder friend added it .
Royz

jacobgiles

#4 Post by jacobgiles » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:34 am

well, i found a bender to use so i will be building my cage for the nova. hopefully i can get it done this winter. i will have plenty of pics when im done. (one day)

David Lemmond

#5 Post by David Lemmond » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:22 pm

As John said the S&W is the best fitting for a kit cage. I usually custom bend everything but if I had to install a kit it would be S&W. I got conned into installing one in a Nova and it fit pretty well.
David Lemmond's Race Shop
Somerville, Al.
256-778-8888
Specializing in 10.5 tire cars chassis, suspension, and components.
67-69 Camaro, 68-74 Nova Tubular A-arms.
62-67 Chevy II tubular A-arms.