Swapping out QA1 rear coilovers for AFCO T2's

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Gil93

Swapping out QA1 rear coilovers for AFCO T2's

#1 Post by Gil93 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Hello, Im the new Guy on the block here. I recently purchased a set of AFCO T2
rear coilover shocks for my bracket car. I would like to know what a good starting point would be as far as bump and rebound. My car weighs 2500 lbs 1400 front and 1100 rear approx.I have 95lb 12" rear coils and 14" 125lb fronts. its an auto 5500 stall with about 119% anti squat. I do run Goodyear Eagle radial slicks 30x9. My 60ft was 138 good air and 144 in the heat. I dont know if u needed all this info, but can't hurt right? I do Appreciate any help if possible, thanks guys. My points weekend starts next weekend and have had no time this year for testing other than this weekend!
Thanks again, Gil

ytnova

Re: Swapping out QA1 rear coilovers for AFCO T2's

#2 Post by ytnova » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:13 pm

I also just switched from the qa1's to the afco's, but I ran into some snags right off the bat. It seems that the stock valving is a little weak for a heavy or a fast car that strikes the tire hard, so I had to send them back and get them revalved with the big gun valving, huge difference. I should have posted this before, but for everyone else, don't buy shocks from the mail order companies without contacting the shock manufacture first!!!! I had to pay to have my shocks revalved, if I would have called and talked to afco first, I could of bought them direct with the right valving, or ordered them with the right valving, at no extra cost!! It would have saved me 150+ bucks!!!! Anyways, here is what I ran into, with the shocks and the stock valving, my car would plant the tire and initially hook, then as the car pitched and transfered the weight back it would blow through all of the compression and bottom the shock out and then unload the tires even with the compression full stiff and the shock at the long side of the installed weight window. You couldn't really see it until we videoed the car and watched the tape. Hopefully you don't have this problem, with you car being 1000lbs lighter. First off, call them and asked what the installed height window is for the shock, they should give you a eyelet to eyelet measurement that is + or - a half inch(meaning a 1 inch window). I would then rig up some sort of way to measure shock travel both extension and compression. I used a small zip tie on the shock shaft to measure compression and a piece of string tied around the top of the shock and then hanging down along the body with a rubber band hold it in place to measure extension. I had a helper reach under the car and push the zip tie down and pull the string tight after the burn out, and stopped on the return road and checked them both. Kinda crude, but I could see how much of the shock I was using and where the problem was. After the revalve, I started out with both compression and rebound in the middle and then videoed the car launching and adjusted both from there. I ended up stiffening the compession 2 more clicks and softening the reound 10 clicks, but the track was marginal at best. I don't have enough runs on them to comfortable recommend anything other than that for a starting point, but maybe afco can point you in a better direction. You didn't say what type of rear suspension or car it is, with that info also, maybe some of the other guys can give you a better starting point.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

Mike Peters

#3 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:29 am

Gil,

Do yourself a favor and call my friend Eric Saffell at Afco. Tell him I sent you . His # is 1-800-632-2320 ext 202. He'll help you or find out what you need to know.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Gil93

#4 Post by Gil93 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks guys for your help its very much appreciated! - specially when i have limited time for testing !! Gil

dragrace67camro

#5 Post by dragrace67camro » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:53 pm

Has anyone else had Problems With QA1 get high HP cars to Dead HOOK

I Run Super Gas and Super Street at around 150 MPH and can not get the little bit of spin out of my car
i tried my friends koni shocks and they help out alot - but Hard to just go out and spend a ton of money wen I think i should be able to make these QA1 double adj work - but on other hand I have been chaseing my tale for over a year now

Thank Dave

Gil93 wrote:Hello, Im the new Guy on the block here. I recently purchased a set of AFCO T2
rear coilover shocks for my bracket car. I would like to know what a good starting point would be as far as bump and rebound. My car weighs 2500 lbs 1400 front and 1100 rear approx.I have 95lb 12" rear coils and 14" 125lb fronts. its an auto 5500 stall with about 119% anti squat. I do run Goodyear Eagle radial slicks 30x9. My 60ft was 138 good air and 144 in the heat. I dont know if u needed all this info, but can't hurt right? I do Appreciate any help if possible, thanks guys. My points weekend starts next weekend and have had no time this year for testing other than this weekend!
Thanks again, Gil
1967 chevy Camaro 500 cu 13.5to 1 comp.

Gil93

Re: QA1

#6 Post by Gil93 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Hey Dave , I have been battling inconsistancy with my QA1 aluminun struts and rear coilovers thinking it was elsewhere, until recently finding out the problem was with them all along! .I am really considering purchasing the Santhoff front strut ($) for my mustang or the Koni SPA1 after a little more research. however yes your not alone!
Gil

ytnova

#7 Post by ytnova » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:29 am

That seems to be the general complaint about the qa1's. Also, I just wanted to add, I am in no way saying anything bad about the afco's, the problem with them was mine for not calling and getting the correct valved shock to begin with.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

dragrace67camro

#8 Post by dragrace67camro » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:30 pm

ytnova wrote:That seems to be the general complaint about the qa1's. Also, I just wanted to add, I am in no way saying anything bad about the afco's, the problem with them was mine for not calling and getting the correct valved shock to begin with.
No i know Afco make a great product - I am just talking about my QA1's and I tryed my friends Koni socks because they bolted right on and my problem went again I try and two different tracks swithing them in the same day one then the other so I know that it has to be that. ( he had to fight to get them back let me tell you ) ;) I just cant belive in my head its that and I have been chasing my tail for such a long time
1967 chevy Camaro 500 cu 13.5to 1 comp.

ytnova

#9 Post by ytnova » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Yeah, you and me both. I was at my wits end about a month ago.