solid throttle pedal

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

71 chevy

Re: solid throttle pedal

#16 Post by 71 chevy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:52 pm

I chickened out and went an easy and cheap way, using the stock pedal. on the pedal side, I welded a .75 x.75 tab to the end of the pedal where the cable would normally go, at a 90degree angle, drilled a hole and attached a rod end I had laying around.

for the throttle body side, I used a 1" spacer and another rod end I had laying around. I connected both ends with allthread. total cost was less $20 and the throttle bores open completely with no bind.

Is there anything that you can see that could be cause for concern with this setup? If not, Im going to take it down and weld up a toe pull.

thanks for looking

supernova

#17 Post by supernova » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:41 am

I think it will be in a bind if you get any flax or twist in the car. If that happens you could have stuck WOT problem. You may want to change were it rod comes out of the firewall closer to the center.
Attachments
IMG_3994.JPG
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#18 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:44 am

Maybe I'm wrong but the angle that the rod is on, would bother me plus the spacer between the rod end and the throttle. I would be a little worried about any type of binding or being weak at that spacer.

I basically made the same type of rod out of solid 1/4" rod with swivel joints on each end, but mine lines up straight.

I'm not sure if the firewall of a Camaro and Nova are the same, but in that area, on a Camaro, that is where the cable comes out for a 6 cylinder car. Does the Nova firewall have a spot for the v-8 type linkage which is lower on the firewall and closer to the center?

If so, why not use that area?

Here is how mine is on my Camaro:

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce69Camaro on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#19 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:11 am

supernova wrote:I think it will be in a bind if you get any flax or twist in the car. If that happens you could have stuck WOT problem. You may want to change were it rod comes out of the firewall closer to the center.
I've seen that happen, and it ain't purdy. This is a Drag Radial Camaro that broke a motor mount at launch hanging the throttle WFO, with the giggle juice on also.

supernova

#20 Post by supernova » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:06 am

Man, I thank you should save some coins and get the Smith Racecraft peace and be done with it. I fooled around with make my owe stuff for the throttle linkage while saving and after getting the SRC peace I tossed everything else in the trash.
It really is a nice product and is a no brain're.

Ether copy it or buy it!!!! It really is worth the money.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

71 chevy

#21 Post by 71 chevy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:33 am

supernova wrote:I think it will be in a bind if you get any flax or twist in the car. If that happens you could have stuck WOT problem. You may want to change were it rod comes out of the firewall closer to the center.
Its not a bad idea and I may very well do it, but let me be a little bit arguementative.

can I get enough flexion to put it in a bind if the motor has a motor plate and mid plate? also have a 12 point and subframe connectors. will there be enough flexing to possibly bind it?

I mean, I dont mind redoing it, but it works so well right now, and I dont want to have to make another hole unless absolutely needed.

btw, Im NEVER going back to cable. Ive used a lot of pedals in my lifetime but this is the most buttery smooth, direct connection, Ive ever experienced from a pedal. I had heard and read about how much better the solid linkage is, but I wasnt ready for how much better than a cable it really is. the difference is quite profound.

71 chevy

#22 Post by 71 chevy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:39 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:Maybe I'm wrong but the angle that the rod is on, would bother me plus the spacer between the rod end and the throttle. I would be a little worried about any type of binding or being weak at that spacer.

I basically made the same type of rod out of solid 1/4" rod with swivel joints on each end, but mine lines up straight.

I'm not sure if the firewall of a Camaro and Nova are the same, but in that area, on a Camaro, that is where the cable comes out for a 6 cylinder car. Does the Nova firewall have a spot for the v-8 type linkage which is lower on the firewall and closer to the center?

If so, why not use that area?

Here is how mine is on my Camaro:

Bruce
hey bruce, did you modify the stock pedal as well, or use a different pedal?
It shouldnt be too hard to redo but it really feels solid right now.

do you think if I weld a 1/4" piece of aluminum to the throttle arm that it would be stronger?

supernova

#23 Post by supernova » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:55 am

Ah, ok! Do you really want to find out the hard way if the throttle hangs up??????

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

71 chevy

#24 Post by 71 chevy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:06 am

supernova wrote:Ah, ok! Do you really want to find out the hard way if the throttle hangs up??????
not really, but Im saying do you think it will?

to your other post. the other reason Im not going SRD is that it puts a hole in your wiper area that will leak water into the cabin if it starts raining.

Bruce69Camaro

#25 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:19 am

To answer question one, my pedal is a factory setup for the Camaro's with a V-8. The only thing I made was the throttle rod, the rest is factory.

You can go to places like Classic Industries and do a search under 69 Camaro for gas pedal and see if that will work for you?

I gotta agree with SuperNova (first time for everything) on this, play it safe and get a good setup. I had my linkage stick on me one time and it's not a fun feeling.....

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

71 chevy

#26 Post by 71 chevy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:26 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:To answer question one, my pedal is a factory setup for the Camaro's with a V-8. The only thing I made was the throttle rod, the rest is factory.

You can go to places like Classic Industries and do a search under 69 Camaro for gas pedal and see if that will work for you?

I gotta agree with SuperNova (first time for everything) on this, play it safe and get a good setup. I had my linkage stick on me one time and it's not a fun feeling.....

Bruce
I have the factory solid linkage kit as well, and it didnt even come close to working. the engine is moved back, and it basically had very limited range of motion

supernova

#27 Post by supernova » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 am

Anything is possible when running a car.

Yes water can get in but that can be fixed.
up22.com
Has a valance panel that is solid and doesn't cost much. I don't have wipers so that's not a problem for my car. I don't drive it in the rain.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

HPDRIFTER

#28 Post by HPDRIFTER » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:16 pm

I'd never thought about it before, but that nhra-required toe hook must be pretty much useless with a cable throttle.

71 chevy

#29 Post by 71 chevy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm

alright, Im pulling it down to reweld it closer to the trans tunnel for a straighter shot.

Bruce, can I ask what pedal you were using when the throttle stuck open, and what caused it to happen?

supernova

#30 Post by supernova » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:06 pm

Hey, we're all just trying to help. Just don't want to see you have a issue. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
K?

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs