Non race car vibration issue at high speeds

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Bruce69Camaro

Non race car vibration issue at high speeds

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:45 am

I got a call last night that my mother-in-law is getting a $600+ bill to fix a vibration issue at high speeds.

I asked my wife what they plan on doing to fix this and they said the shop wants to put in new struts, balance the wheels, front end alignment and they also said she needs new brakes.

From working on her car, one thing bothers me is, the fact that one of the wheels was damaged and has a dent in it and they haven't replaced that wheel even after me telling them to do so. I told my wife they need to get that replaced, new tires and have them all balanced.

The thing I'm not sure of is, would bad struts cause a virbation issue? I can see them causing a bouncing issue but virbation? And the car was inspected not too long ago and all of a sudden the struts are bad or is the shop just looking for money or did the inspection station just pass the car???

I'm always looking out for my in-laws and this just sounds funny to me that they want to do all this work.

What do you think?

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

supernova

Re: Non race car vibration issue at high speeds

#2 Post by supernova » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:54 pm

How old is the car? ALL of that stuff can and will cause bad things to happen. Sounds about right.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:12 am

It's a 93 Olds Cutlass Ciera.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

supernova

#4 Post by supernova » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:23 am

At that age I bet every bit of it is wore out.....
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Dave Morgan

#5 Post by Dave Morgan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:34 pm

This could be a problem with an effect known as Road Force Variation. Essentially,the sidewalls of a tire have a spring rate and if the rate is not the same everywhere on the tire, there will be a stiff or soft spot in the sidewall.The dent in the wheel that you mentioned can be part of this effect. An 11-pound difference in Road Force Variationcan cause a vibration. Typically, a tire shop can identify the variation and normally place the stiff part of the sidewall where, in your case, the dent in the wheel is. Most modern balancers and all of the Hunter balancers can check for Road Force Variationso ask the shop if they checked for this.
Author of "Doorslammers: The Chassisbook"
Drag Racing Chassis Seminars and Videos

want-a-be

#6 Post by want-a-be » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:50 am

I'd replaced the tires first and have them properly balance them. Hopefully the aren't just bubble balancing them. :roll:

As for the alignment goes. How are the old tires looking as they are wearing out? They usually a good indication as to how the alignment of your front and rear suspension is.

I have ran across a few shops in the past that is more then happy to change out a lot of stuff for those who don't know. When I find out such things about a shop I will never send any of my friends there again. The guy I use to do my stuff does not pull that kind of crap people, and I recommend him to everyone who asks me for a good mechanic to go to.

Don

BracketNova

#7 Post by BracketNova » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:22 pm

Strut bearings???
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs