set engine lower in ladder bar car need set up help

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

dart9ss

set engine lower in ladder bar car need set up help

#1 Post by dart9ss » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:54 pm

I recently installed a sw front clip and rack system and a arm coil springs in my 69 dart. the engine to clear the oil pump went back 5" and is 7 1/2 inches off the ground from crank center. this puts the trans tail shaft 1 1/2 higher then the rear end pinion center. I set the pinion angle at 2*. the ladder bars on center hole. I have strange dbl adjustable shocks. since the car is lower Im wondering if I will need a different angle on my front bars up face the i/c to help get the car on the tire. The motor is plenty power at 842 hp 696 ft lbs. at 2800 w / d. My car with a 625 hp bb set in the original placement would 60ft 1.33 and pick the front end im having trouble getting hooked. looking for the gurus to add there $.02. thanks

Bruce69Camaro

Re: set engine lower in ladder bar car need set up help

#2 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 am

Stupid question, you said sw front clip?

Do you mean S&W Racecars? If so, Hookdaddy is a member on here and he recently just retired from there. He might be able to give you some help.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Hookdaddy

#3 Post by Hookdaddy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:12 pm

which hole the ladder bar is in is really irrelevent. What matters is the position of the bottom bar relevent to the ground. Is it down in front, parallel to the ground, or up in front?
simplist way to explain it is - imagine a big carpenter's squre running along the bottom bar. At the front rod end the square goes up through the center of the car make an imaginary line. Now everything forward of the line is the weight that the ladder bar must lift to tranfer weight. Drop the front of the bar down move the top of the line forward and reduces the "seen" weight and allpws the car to transfer weight quicker. Raising it adds weight, slows transfer and works the tire harder. Look at a video of your launch or have a trusted friend watch it. If it spins right at the hit drop the bar to speed up transfer. If it hooks then spins go the other way. Watch the front end too. If you reach full extension too quickly it can unloadthe chassis also.
Don Scholl
S&W Race Cars - retired
145H Super Comp
145Y Stock Eliminator & ET Brackets

dart9ss

#4 Post by dart9ss » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks Don, I will follow your instructions. The car was scaled and we had adjusted the 1 bar to even out the weight If I move the bar down will the car need to be re-scaled ? what is your thought on the shock settings? The car has less front end travel with the coil overs then with the old torsion bar set up.

Hookdaddy

#5 Post by Hookdaddy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:05 pm

I you just raise or lower the front of the bar you don't need to rescale it. What shocks do you have - front & rear?
Don Scholl
S&W Race Cars - retired
145H Super Comp

dart9ss

#6 Post by dart9ss » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:19 pm

the sw invoice says hal corp aluminum single adjustable 2 1/4 travel #50-017a I also have 450lb spring since its a b1 and all iron indy max wedge block. The car scaled 49.7 rear / 50.3 front. not much front end movement I assume at 2 1/4 ".

Hookdaddy

#7 Post by Hookdaddy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:41 pm

that's the front shock. Start with them fully loose and what what the front does. If it tops out then spins , slow them down 1 or 2 clicks at a time till it doesn't
Don Scholl
S&W Race Cars - retired
145H Super Comp

dart9ss

#8 Post by dart9ss » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Gotcha. will test car in 2 weeks. Thanks