Dragster Tire Shake

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Bucky

Dragster Tire Shake

#1 Post by Bucky » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:11 pm

I have had this 4 link car for a long time. Added turbos, and as I start pushing to faster than 1.05 60' times, tire shake starts to be an issue.
This has a hoosier 14.5/33.0L-15, no bead locks. Car weighs 1850 with me
I have tried all different tire pressures. Very low tire pressures helped, I think because it would unhook the tire a bit. I tried MT tires, and they almost could not be shaken. But I am not ready to give up on the Hoosiers yet. I am thinking I need to use a little steeper angle down forward on the bottom bar, and less angle on the top bar. This in order to keep from hitting and dead hooking the tire at the hit.
Dampen the extension as much as I can.
Leave soft for some passes and start ramping the power in sooner and sooner til either tire spin or shake becomes a problem?
What do you guys think? What is the practical limit for this tire 60' wise. Hoosier isn't sure I can go lower than a 1.02 with this tire.
This car has always wanted to hit the tires harder than it ought to. N/A, it would just unhook after that, then hook back up. The lower I went with the two step, the better it would act.
Any experience?