trailer

Everything involved with getting to the track and working in the pits

Moderator: John_Heard

a1elec

trailer

#1 Post by a1elec » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:34 pm

just picked a used 28 ft enclosed trailer. this is new for me. can anyone shed some light on where the car should be placed in the trailer. car is 68 nova. one guy said center it over the 2 axels any thoughts ? thanks john

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:51 pm

Congrat's! 28 is a good size, room enough for your car and a 4 wheeler, tight but it'll fit. On my 24' trailer I have my car back so the parachute will clear the back door. I need about all the room I can get up front of the car. You could probably move yours forward some with the longer trailer. Just be aware of the tongue weight you're putting on the truck, wouldn't hurt to scale it and see when you're completely loaded - tools/generator/fuel, etc. It WILL be heavier than you think lol

a1elec

#3 Post by a1elec » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:45 pm

thanks john i forgot about all of the stuff up front. ill keep it back as far as i can. no 4 wheeler my twin boys already claimed that space for their dirt bikes.

79 Camaro

#4 Post by 79 Camaro » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:50 pm

We have a 24 foot enclosed and we can get my car and a pretty good size 4 wheeler(400cc) in there but it is tight..

Its always good to try to equalize the weight in the trailer like john said. But I think that the type of truck you are using to pull all this with also is a factor, because some trucks can handle/like more tongue weight then others. My dads 2003 Dodge diesel 6 speed has a aftermarket bed on it and is really beefy. So it likes to have a good amount of tongue weight. We always try to get the trailer on level ground and look at the spring equalizers(or whatever there called) that are between the two tires to see how much weight is on the front or rear. Hope this helps..

Adam
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers

evil16v

#5 Post by evil16v » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:55 pm

John_Heard wrote:Congrat's! 28 is a good size, room enough for your car and a 4 wheeler, tight but it'll fit. On my 24' trailer I have my car back so the parachute will clear the back door. I need about all the room I can get up front of the car. You could probably move yours forward some with the longer trailer. Just be aware of the tongue weight you're putting on the truck, wouldn't hurt to scale it and see when you're completely loaded - tools/generator/fuel, etc. It WILL be heavier than you think lol
x2

Get it weighed.

know these 4 things:

empty weight of truck w/o trailer

empty weight of truck w/empty trailer

empty weight completely loaded

weight of rear axle while completely loaded. This is the number on the door jam sticker that you will overload first. The load levelers will help this number

I Know that sounds like over kill and a complete pain in the a$$, but it's worth it. You only have to do it once. Then you know know exactly where your at. Estimate the weight after that. You will also know what tires(use actual weight rating on tire) are best for the truck and trailer come time to buy them.
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

evil16v

#6 Post by evil16v » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:01 pm

Here... read the last post in this while your at it... i went into t a better explanation there.

http://www.dragstuff.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... ght=#14983
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

a1elec

#7 Post by a1elec » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:53 pm

thanks guys for the help john