Need Ford Tech help

Everything involved with getting to the track and working in the pits

Moderator: John_Heard

Dave Koehler

Need Ford Tech help

#1 Post by Dave Koehler » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:42 am

My daughter came to town for a visit. Her 2001 Ford Windstar is stalling and dying at full highway speed. Pull over, wait a bit, fire it up and move on until it does it again. Pretty unsafe deal.

So, my Ford tech friends, I understand that this is an common issue with these vehicles. Other than fuel filter replacement (probably never done) what do I start looking for, trying?

Thanks
Dave Koehler
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Master Software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know you are in a hurry"

supernova

Re: Need Ford Tech help

#2 Post by supernova » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:14 am

Hi Dave,
My brother is a ASE master tech with Ford and Mazda. He say's it need a full fuel system check up to determine the problem. He said it sounds like the fuel system and a tech diagnostic is the only way to find the issue with it.
Yes the filter might fix it but what if it doesn't what next? A tech can pin point the issue quickly and fix it with less hassle.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

vegaracer

#3 Post by vegaracer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:57 am

I've had that deal before. Turned out to be a fuel pump that would heat up and die. Then it'd cool off and you'd be good for awhile again.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

chpcamaro

#4 Post by chpcamaro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:56 pm

has the fuel filter been changed we see alot of this people forget to change it or were told it was and it wasn't changed hope this helps dave
rob
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

EntenmannRacing

#5 Post by EntenmannRacing » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:38 pm

You can go either way to start either spark or fuel. But from what you descrided I'd start at fuel . if the fuel filter has not been replace ever replace it first then, Hook a pressure gague to the port on the fuel rail. Port shoud be on the rail facing the front of the Van. Looks like tire air valve with cap. DUCT tape gague to window and drive. pressure should be 30-40 psi . If it's ok ,drive till it's hot or acting up. fuel pressure should remain at 30-40.. If it doesn't you probally have a bad pump (common) also common is the fuel pump and EEC relays they will get hot and open as well. You would want to check supply voltage to the pump before condeming it. Let me know if you need wiring diagram or pin point test. I can get you those. FMC tech for 10 years