Enclosed Trailer = Storage?

Everything involved with getting to the track and working in the pits

Moderator: John_Heard

y2kdeuce

Enclosed Trailer = Storage?

#1 Post by y2kdeuce » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Just got what I think is a crazy good deal on a race car on eBay, so I'm finally going to live my dream of going racing. First order of business, I need a trailer to get this beast from point A to B. Second order of business, find a place to keep said beast over the Winter. Unless I want a divorce, I have to concede the garage over the Winter. Would it be stupid of me to think I could let the car ride out the Wisconsin off season in an enclosed trailer? Next option would be an unheated garage.

Thanks,

John

mikeT

Re: Enclosed Trailer = Storage?

#2 Post by mikeT » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Not Crazy at all!!!
I have stored my drag car this way for many winters.
I make sure to put antifreeze in the engine , I pull the batteries, and just put some wood blocks under the 4 link mounts to stop the slicks from going to the rims, The blocks just slide under the mounts with the slicks at racing psi. No way they will hold air all winter.
I have never had one problem from doing this.
Lastly I live in Michigan

spib

#3 Post by spib » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:27 pm

do like he said and if you want put crappy tires on it in trailer and put slicks in bedroom thats what I do, but my wifes slicks are on top of mine!!!!!! :D she races also and my race car it gets the garage, her car is under carport, Thats a idea, buy a good portable carport with enclosed sides put it in front of garage
http://www.youtube.com/user/spib43
10.56 @128 best to date

ytnova

#4 Post by ytnova » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:27 am

Actually guys, I would recommend putting the car on jack stands under the frame so the springs do not have pressure on them while in storage. I store my car like this all year, it is only on the tires when I go racing. Most springs will sag over time and this extends their life greatly, yet alone keeping the tires from flat spotting. Kind of a pain, but worth the effort. I also keep ride height measurements for all four corners so I can tell when the springs start going bad.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

chpcamaro

#5 Post by chpcamaro » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:19 pm

yup i keep my car in the trailer to keep the garage open and i put it on jacks stands in the trailer after every race
just like ytnova
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

y2kdeuce

#6 Post by y2kdeuce » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:29 am

Thanks guys. Bought a 26' Pace trailer today from a retiring road course racer. Set up pretty nice with a winch, e-track and etc.

Almost jack knifed it driving home though. Had a strong crosswind which was fine until I tried to pass a semi at about 68 mph. The wash coming off the front of his truck got me all out of shape and I had to fight to keep it going down the road. Total nightmare for my wife because she rolled an expedition back in January much the same way. Empty snowmobile trailer tilted on her (pin wasn't in) caught air and took her for a wild ride.

2 questions. Was the sway much worse because it was empty or can I expect that when loaded too? We had the weight distribution bars installed at the setting previous owner normally used. "hang 4 links". Sway bar was installed. Not cranked tight enough?

Did I make things worse by reacting and correcting? Sure felt like if I did nothing it would have taken us over, so I lifted out of the gas and corrected best I could. Truck gave us a wide berth and passed us back. Can't help second guessing it, if my reaction to the initial sway brought on the rest of the swaying. It was pretty bad there for a long 30 seconds.

hmmm according to this, it sounds like I'm lucky to be writing this, and yes I should have just kept the wheel straight.
http://www.thefloridafirm.com/trailer_s ... dents.html

Anyone have similar experience?

Thanks

John

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:00 pm

What was you pulling with?

The few times I've had one do that applying the trailer brakes tends to straighten them out pretty quick.

y2kdeuce

#8 Post by y2kdeuce » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Was pulling with an 06 Expedition without a trailer brake controller. Just ordered one on Amazon.

After researching trailer sway, I know we had too much weight taken off the hitch by the distribution bars. The trailer was unstable to begin with, then the cross wind then truck wash got us started, and I tried to correct which made it worse. Doh!

BracketNova

#9 Post by BracketNova » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 pm

I keep my car in my one car garage in the winter...my wife doesn't mind.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs