Dodge Cummins Lift Pump Problems

Everything involved with getting to the track and working in the pits

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Dodge Cummins Lift Pump Problems

#1 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:47 am

I think I have a lift pump gone bad on my 03 Dodge 5.9 Cummins - anyone switched theirs over to a frame mount pump? What did you use? Seems there are a lot of different pumps people use from Holley Blue's up to $900+ Pump / Filter combos which seem a bit overkill.

If you used an external pump, where did you find the adapter plate to go from the engine mounted pump location to a fuel line (replacing pump) ?

supernova

Re: Dodge Cummins Lift Pump Problems

#2 Post by supernova » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:13 am

Hey John,
My brother is the 5.9 expert. He had the same thing happen to his 02. Let me talk to him and I'll get back to ya.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:27 am

Cool - I'm hoping it's just the lift pump and not something more serious. I think what I need to do right now is figure out how to rig a fuel pressure gauge on it. I can hear the lift pump running, but pressure is unknown.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Chris - talked to your brother, he wasn't too sure either but he suggested I tap on the fuel control actuator to see if it was sticking. Yup! That was the culprit, got a new one on the way plus a fitting so I can put a fuel pressure gauge on it too.

Oh, he's going to pester you some more about putting the big jets in too.. hehe

supernova

#5 Post by supernova » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Good to hear it may be fixed. :thumb:

Yah yah!!!!! He bugs the shit out of me all the time about bigger pills...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I keep telling him we'll get there just to wait for it....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh and your right about the quarter wheel opening and the bigger tire. In front of the tire at the bottom the clearance is ony 1/4" just sitting there..... Out comes the buzz saw, again!!!!!!!!!! :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: I thought I was done with all that, oh well...
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

BracketNova

#6 Post by BracketNova » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Not sure about your year John...but on top of the fuel filter for my 99 there is an eight inch pipe plug. I unscrewed mine and popped a gauge in there. Worked for me.

Whomever had my truck before me had the lift pump go out and it took the injection pump with it. On mine it looks like they just cut the line a couple feet ahead of the tank and put an auxilary pump in. Seems to work ok, I get 13 PSI at the fuel filter. The Cummins guys recommend 15 PSI if you add any power adders. I'm not sure if my 99s lift pump used to be in the tank...I have half a mind to take the tank down this spring and see if they removed the old dead one - I wouldn't think it would flow fuel if they did but who knows.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:18 pm

I ordered a banjo fitting that has a 1/8 pipe fitting in it to hook up a gauge, will see what the lift pump pressure is after I fix that actuator deal. I might do that frame rail pump setup too one of these days, or sooner if it's on the low side.

Not 100% certain, but I don't think they put the lift pumps in the tank until 2004, or if it was a retro fit on earlier trucks.