Best Little Air Compressor for Trailer?

Everything involved with getting to the track and working in the pits

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Best Little Air Compressor for Trailer?

#1 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:36 pm

Who makes a decent little compressor for trailer use? I've been using a nitrogen cylinder for quite a while in the trailer but getting tired of it being in the way, so thinking about getting one of those little pancake or other type of small compressor to mount in the trailer.

Harbor Freight has some cheapy oil less models that looks like it would fit in the cabinet, but not sure if they are worth a darn?

mytmouz

Re: Best Little Air Compressor for Trailer?

#2 Post by mytmouz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:21 pm

I got a small one from Home Depot that came with a brad nailer ( I was actually wanting just the nailer, lol). It came with a coiled hose that was crap. It will air up a tire rapidly, but I don't know about running a tool. It is a Husky, and the combo package was like $69.00. I have a Speedaire that will run air tools that I will take with me from now on though, it has a larger tank than the Husky...
Trucks are for haulin...

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:16 am

For track use, airing up tires, I'd think the HF stuff would be fine. You're not likely to actually run it all that much in the grand scheme of things.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:15 am

I guess the draw back would be using air tools, not having enough air volume to run an impact, etc.

Most of the time all we're doing is bumping up air in the race car tires, or maybe using an air nozzle to blow out something.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:37 am

Check this little shit out - I had forgot how loud those little compressors are, this one is quiet though...

Craig W.

#6 Post by Craig W. » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:28 pm

That's a big difference. Wonder if its not a piston pump? Maybe its a small screw compressor? Anything you can do to dampen the pulsation will reduce noise and vibration.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:03 pm

I believe it's a piston style pump.

Mike Peters

#8 Post by Mike Peters » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:28 pm

John, I thought maybe you had seen the HF pancake compressor I bring to the track. Lightweight enough to use as an air bubble if you need it in the lanes. I've had it for a while now and it still works great. Not a lot of capacity but I usually don't need much to maintain tire pressure between rounds. Main reason I went with this one is you can find coupons in various magazines that knock the price down to $40.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 am

Just an update on this little compressor, my wife bought me one of them for my birthday and I love it. I put it in the front cabinet of the trailer and you don't even know when it's running, VERY quiet and lightweight as well. Good investment, I got rid of my nitrogen bottle and probable got 100lbs out of the trailer.

While I was at it, I plumbed the trailer for air. I put a bulkhead fitting in the floor of the front cabinet then ran 3/8" truck air brake tubing to two spots on the car side of the trailer, one by the front wheels and one by the back. Mounted quick connects at the edge of the trailer. Then I just plug in a 25' coiled hose which easily reaches both sides of the car. Works fantastic and no more screwing around with a 50' air hose when you're in a hurry.

I got these clamps at McMaster - Carr, they are PN 3050T72 for 1/4" pipe nipple.

11401176_10206831259650197_3338895482597605951_n.jpg