set up launch retard

MSD Digital Ignition Programming & Troubleshooting, Playing with Dots, Slew and other fun toys for traction challanged racers

Moderator: John_Heard

zephyrc

set up launch retard

#1 Post by zephyrc » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:43 pm

have put on my crossplate now and am going to try out the launch retard.. am using jetting for around 300hp and need to kill of some power at launch.. so would i use about 10 degrees retard ramped in at 0.7 seconds or should i bring it in over a longer period.. have checked with the retard on and i can get up on the converter at 10 degrees.. dont know what to expect when i use it so just need a bit guidance

Craig W.

Re: set up launch retard

#2 Post by Craig W. » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:01 pm

I used to pull 15 degrees for .10-.15 sec before progressives were legal in Outlaw 8.5. I found it best to bring the power back in while the car was still loading the rear tires heavily.

Are you running a crank trigger so that you can phase your rotor? If not, your step retard plus the launch retard will likely cause it to fire on the wrong post in the cap.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

zephyrc

#3 Post by zephyrc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:06 pm

craig, yes i do run a crank trigger, so rotor phase is not a problem... if you wait till its further out before bringing the advance in will it simply blow the tires off.. thanks for replying

Craig W.

#4 Post by Craig W. » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:49 pm

I found that to be the case on the 8.5" slicks I race on. Plus you want to get the power in quickly for a good 60' time. Its just something you have to experiement with.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts