7535?

MSD Digital Ignition Programming & Troubleshooting, Playing with Dots, Slew and other fun toys for traction challanged racers

Moderator: John_Heard

vht

7535?

#1 Post by vht » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Going to a different ign on my dragster, I now have a 7AL2. Now I'm running a 582, injected on alky, bbc. later I'm going with a 540, 8-71 roots, with alky. I was adviced to go with a 7535 and a HVC coil, my question is how hard are they to set up. I'd need starting line rpm control, rev limiter, retard for slick tracks, and maybe boost retard later. I was told you could use a GM map sensor, is that true or do you have to purchase 1 from MSD? I need something user friendly as they say.

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: 7535?

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:27 pm

You'll need a laptop to set it up.

They do make a handheld programmer, but that makes it harder to use. Not even sure if you can use the handheld to work the boost curve.The Digital 7's aren't that bad to work with once you get your feet wet, but there is a learning curve. It would help if you have friend that has worked with the digital 7's a bit to set down with you and go over everything.

Is there a reason you're not looking at the 7531 box instead? It has more features such as Rev Limit Curves / Slew (dots) boost retard, etc.

I'd suggest getting the power grid if you want the top of the line controls BUT they have not released the boost retard module for it yet, and no specific date on when it will be out. The Power Grid model is the latest digital ignition box they sell.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Oh, on the Map Sensor, yes, you can use GM just fine. You'll have to cut a tab off the MSD plug to plug it into the box, but it'll work fine.

ytnova

#4 Post by ytnova » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:29 pm

I would go with both of the power grid boxes instead of the digital 7 series box, but another solution would be to still use your 7al ignition box and control it with a power grid controller, you could then upgrade to a power grid igniton later on if need be.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Just remember the Boost Retard feature isn't available "yet" for the Grid.