improvement ?

One of the most critical areas of a automatic race car

Moderator: Marty Chance

julven

improvement ?

#1 Post by julven » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:58 am

Marty and Those in-the-know. We want to pick this car up a little and were hoping for some input on the converter if it sounds like it is doing the job or needs some improvement .The car is a 3180lbs 68 Camaro stock suspension car. It has a 11.1 362ci sbc (4.070x3.48) with some 210cc runner aluminum head and a Super Victor intake with a 850 Holley. The tranny is a TH400 foot brake full manual with a tight 9" converter and the rear is 4.30 gear. It is a Nitrous car that uses a Big Shot on a 225hp setting. We feel it is weak off the line it flashes a little over 3500 but it may be spot on for the combo?.Thanks for any input and I will try to give any info that is needed. Jason
The car is V122 on the time slip.And yes he did get a good nap in on the line.4161. :lol:

Marty Chance

Re: improvement ?

#2 Post by Marty Chance » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:33 am

Jason I would need more info before i recommend to change anything. Do you have any data logging ? if not you could put a video camera in the car , zoomed in on the tach and make a pass (hillbilly data logger, but it works) then I could make some recommendations . Most likely there are some gains to be made but it may or may not be in the converter
Neal Chance Racing Converters
Home of the World's Fastest Automatic Doorslammers!
www.racingconverters.com

julven

#3 Post by julven » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:46 am

There is no data logger so we will get the old hillbilly logger out next time we are at the track and get back to you.Thanks for your time! Jason

Marty Chance

#4 Post by Marty Chance » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:53 am

we have test and tune this saturday at Ozark Raceway Park, bring it out and lets see what it does and i can help you track side Marty Chance
www.racingconverters.com

julven

#5 Post by julven » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Wow now that is a offer and my luck.That would be awsome but me and my father have to work :cry: . Now my father is standing her telling me how much he hates his job.LOL! What time do things shut down? If we don't make it I will have some video shortly we want to make it to one of the first Friday nights. Thanks! The track is looking great! I am past ready to make some passes there.

Marty Chance

#6 Post by Marty Chance » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:48 am

we rained out , so you did not miss anything. this week end is our first heads up shoot out (forcast is great , sunny & 68 degrees) Jason from VP is coming in and we will begin track prep thursday morning. there will be a track rental friday morning and open test and tune friday evening about 5 pm (may want to check the web for exact times www.ozarkracewaypark.com ) I would be glad to help then also , hope to meet you and your dad soon Marty Chance
www.racingconverters.com

julven

#7 Post by julven » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:53 am

Sounds great!We plan on being there.I am going to call today about the rental.Thanks again! Jason

julven

#8 Post by julven » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Marty, Thanks you so much for the time Friday. I will get with you on another day for a helping hand when were not on fire. :lol: I still have to find out what failed. We have the motor out right now the damage was not real heavy but the intake has to come off.It blew the intake gaskets out of it. :shock:
I did get some good info from the video to work with the driver/Nathan on.He does the burn out at 7500-8k so that needs to stop. :roll:
We had a blast though and you guys have done great thing with the track.
Thanks again! Jason

wikd69

#9 Post by wikd69 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:09 pm

julven wrote:Marty, Thanks you so much for the time Friday. I will get with you on another day for a helping hand when were not on fire. :lol: I still have to find out what failed. We have the motor out right now the damage was not real heavy but the intake has to come off.It blew the intake gaskets out of it. :shock:
I did get some good info from the video to work with the driver/Nathan on.He does the burn out at 7500-8k so that needs to stop. :roll:
Thanks again! Jason
Ok, anytime I see a comment like "when we're not on fire" and "It blew the intake gaskets out of it. " I know there's a great back story, hopefully even video <hint hint> :smt003
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

julven

#10 Post by julven » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Let's just say we always have a good time when we go racing no matter what happens.We hit a horse one time and totaled out my Dads Suburban coming home (we all walked away with minor scratches and bumps and the car never moved on the trailer it just had horse crap down the side). Late one night we shut down KCIR after a little back fire but we had the crowd was coming up afterward telling us it was one of the best pass all night and that was the coolist blue flame. :lol: I do have some video but is all you see is the fire through the reflection of the tach and the driver is a young kid and he drops the F-bomb.I called him to tell him I was going to blaclmail him not to tell his Dad that he knows that word. :-P . I am thankful it didn't mess the track up as it was in great shape this weekend.
wikd69 wrote:
julven wrote:Marty, Thanks you so much for the time Friday. I will get with you on another day for a helping hand when were not on fire. :lol: I still have to find out what failed. We have the motor out right now the damage was not real heavy but the intake has to come off.It blew the intake gaskets out of it. :shock:
Thanks again! Jason
Ok, anytime I see a comment like "when we're not on fire" and "It blew the intake gaskets out of it. " I know there's a great back story, hopefully even video <hint hint> :smt003

Marty Chance

#11 Post by Marty Chance » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:34 pm

sorry you had the mishap , glad there was no major damage. Hope to see you and your dad at the next one or on a test and tune friday, then perhaps we can get some things figured out for you. Marty
www.racingconverters.com

julven

#12 Post by julven » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:25 pm

Marty thanks for the time on the phone today.Seeya Friday.Jason