bolt together converters got a few????

One of the most critical areas of a automatic race car

Moderator: Marty Chance

gary m

bolt together converters got a few????

#1 Post by gary m » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:52 pm

looking to buy a converter for my top sportsman car .motor is a 588 (4.560 borex4.5 stroke) dart big chief heads ti valves ported flowed,etc,single dart cast 4bbl manifold flowed to heads.i have to decide on a welded converter or a bolt together converter.i think a bolt together converter would be a good choice as i do not plan to run nitrous any time soon but two stages of nitrous is in the future (400-450 hp ). so my question is if i buy a bolt together converter is it possible to only need to change some internal components inside the trans or re-shim the converter? i can't see buying a welded converter and having ti send it back one or two times to get the thing right and then when i switch to nitrous having to buy or send the original converter back again.i am not trying to rotate the earth on this but trying to spend money on parts wisely.
i already have a deadenbear case, 1.80 straight cut gear set.so i need some input on a front pump, input shaft, etc. i assume a ringless input shaft the cooler circuit is eliminated , is this correct?any pro/cons on a ringless input shaft? what company has a decent front pump (reworked stock p/g front pump or new billet type pump? hope to get some input/advice on this.THANKS gary m

Paul Neal SC119E

Re: bolt together converters got a few????

#2 Post by Paul Neal SC119E » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:46 pm

I suggest calling Marty at Neal Chance. His bolt-together converters are great, and he's great to work with!
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins

Marty Chance

#3 Post by Marty Chance » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Q- bolt together for N/A and stator change for N2O
yes you can do a converter this way but you want to know your priority- do you want this ultimately to be a nitrous converter with a N/A stator for starting out with OR a N/A converter with a stator for occasional nitrous use. Also the amount of nitrous will play a factor, for example if you are only going to tickle the motor with a little 150 hp shot then you do not need an all out nitrous converter. We have been designing nitrous converters for 25 years and no two customers needs are the same so you will want a converter designed to the way you are using the car now with the ability to grow into the way you will use it in the future so the key is to know how you will use the nitrous in the future. This is something you need to spend some time discussing with your converter builder. If you choose us (Neal Chance Racing Converters, INC) call and ask directly for me Marty Chance 316-542-9869 and i will get you on the right track.

Ringless input shaft- this is something you need to get with the manufacturer of the input shaft as there are several types ringless shaft. Also there are some ringless input shafts that are "copies" that do not work right! Call me and i will tell you about them as i do not wish to speak negatively about another company.
Neal Chance Racing Converters
Home of the World's Fastest Automatic Doorslammers!
www.racingconverters.com

gary m

#4 Post by gary m » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:08 pm

THANK YOU for your reply.i will call you in a few days. gary m

79 Camaro

#5 Post by 79 Camaro » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:16 am

All of the race cars that I have built or help build have Marty's converters in them. Best money I have ever spent!

NCRC!!!!!
:thumb:

Adam Wright
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers