1/2 aluminum 1/2 steel bolt together converters

One of the most critical areas of a automatic race car

Moderator: Marty Chance

gary m

1/2 aluminum 1/2 steel bolt together converters

#1 Post by gary m » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:51 am

Considering a bolt together converter for my top sportsman car.Several racers that I have talked to seem to feel that the 1/2 aluminum and 1/2 steel converters the front half expands at a different rate and feel that there is a problem with consistancy.They think that the all steel converter would be better, but I have not really made up my mind yet.I see the 1/2 aluminum 1/2 steel converters for sale on racing junk frequently and I am leery buying one of these and having to spend more money to get the thing right.PTC and trans specialties offer a bolt together converter and I notice that the aluminum half is more robust/heavier than the chance 1/2 aluminum front .Hopefully I can get the straight answer on this. THANKS gary m

Marty Chance

Re: 1/2 aluminum 1/2 steel bolt together converters

#2 Post by Marty Chance » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:24 am

1) "feel that the 1/2 aluminum and 1/2 steel converters the front half expands at a different rate and feel that there is a problem with consistancy." This is false, an aluminum drive cover will NOT cause inconsistency , in fact it will be more consistent as the biggest opportunity to inconsistency comes from the tire spin at the hit and the shift and those points of tire spin are increased when the rotating mass is greater.
As for alum drive cover expanding at a different rate causing a problem is also a false statement, your aluminum heads see far more heat and pressure in the combustion chamber and that doesn't cause you inconsistency.
2) "I am leery buying one of these and having to spend more money to get the thing right"
First i would comment that any time you purchase a used converter the main problem is , it was NOT made for your combo. Second purchasing a used alum converter (to a lesser extent) is like purchasing used alum rods, it would be unwise to just put it in your car without sending back to the manufacturer to be inspected insuring it is in great shape and will give you a long lasting service
3)"PTC and trans specialties offer a bolt together converter and I notice that the aluminum half is more robust/heavier than the chance 1/2 aluminum front "
First let me say I will not disrespect my friends at PTC or Trans Specialties, they are very fine people.
There are several companies with alum drive covers that are heavier than my STEEL drive cover, and why build an alum part if it is not for lessening the rotating mass. We are proud to have the lightest weight billet alum converter parts in the world and I give credit to our engineering staff and our aero space CNC division for the 3D work they do producing these parts.
As for the durability of our light weight alum drive cover It is in many world record holders vehicles like:
Brandon Booher – NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster 5.304@272
Turky Al Zafiri / Q80 Racing – Outlaw Pro Mod 5.461 – Quickest 1/4 Mile Doorslammer
Paul Mouhayet – PDRA Pro Boost/PSCA – Fastest Doorslammer 273.39
Frankie Taylor – PDRA Pro Extreme 3.485 Rockingham Dragway, April 2014
Jason Michalak outlaw drag radial 3.97 Saturday at Memphis
and the list goes on and on
I hope this helps answer your questions and if you have any others I will gladly answer them
Marty Chance 316-542-9869
Neal Chance Racing Converters
Home of the World's Fastest Automatic Doorslammers!
www.racingconverters.com

gary m

#3 Post by gary m » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:50 am

Thank You for your reply.I will call you to discuss my converter needs.

Mike Peters

#4 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:12 am

Marty's the best in the business and that's not an opinion. Make that call
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"