What have I missed...

All about making her shine

Moderator: John_Heard

mytmouz

What have I missed...

#1 Post by mytmouz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:55 am

I got out of the body business about the the the HVLP guns started coming on strong. I have my old Binks #7 and my DeVilbis still on hand. I have a couple of projects I thought I might start on, as I am not working right now, I have the time to do it. What has happened with the materials in the last 10 years I need to know about? When I was painting, I used Acme basecoat/clearcoat. Anything out now that is as good/better?
Trucks are for haulin...

sc racing

Re: What have I missed...

#2 Post by sc racing » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Our shop uses Dupont most of the time but there is a lot of other stuff out there. Im not a painter but Ive seen some bad stuff happen with the cheaper stuff.All the materials for one of our paint jobs from bare metal up usually runs about $3k

wikd69

#3 Post by wikd69 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:01 pm

mytmouz wrote:I got out of the body business about the the the HVLP guns started coming on strong. I have my old Binks #7 and my DeVilbis still on hand. I have a couple of projects I thought I might start on, as I am not working right now, I have the time to do it. What has happened with the materials in the last 10 years I need to know about? When I was painting, I used Acme basecoat/clearcoat. Anything out now that is as good/better?
HVLP sounds like some exotic disease :mrgreen:
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

BracketNova

#4 Post by BracketNova » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:36 pm

I've been using dupont base clear for a while. That's what I used on my Nova. Some of my paint guru buddies like Sikkens, and swear by it. But I'm no pro, the guy who I rented the paint booth from when I painted my Nova wanted me to return all my Dupont stuff to buy Sikkens. But I had to explain to him my budget could not handle paint that was 3 times as expensive! It (Sikkens) seems to dry alot quicker, which wouldn't have been good for me or any other novice since we paint alot slower than a pro. The Dupont is slow enough that I can make it around the car and get it to all melt together.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs