Window Trim Clips

All about making her shine

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Window Trim Clips

#1 Post by John_Heard » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Anyone got any great tips on removing window trim clips when someone apparently got a bunch of caulking or who knows what all over the clips? I'm trying to remove my back window, but can't hardly feel the clip with the tool to snag it. I got one to hook, but won't pop loose. I think the channel is full of sealant or caulking of some sort. Arghhh... Nothing is never easy lol

sc racing

Re: Window Trim Clips

#2 Post by sc racing » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:56 am

A heat gun will loosen up some caulking but its still a lot of digging and scraping that crap out.

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:59 am

Sharp razor blades and a putty knife.

In line with this subject, you do know that if for some reason, the little studs that hold those clips on, if you have a broken one, they make replacements that have a self drilling tip.

Just thought I'd through that in, because I just found a stud that is broke, only after the windshield was installed.. :cry:

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:23 pm

I'll give the razor blade deal a shot, maybe that will help. I think if I can just get the first clip undone I can start working it loose.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:01 pm

After about 2 hrs, I got one piece off. What a pita.. Thanks for the tip on the razor, between that, hacksaw blade and lots of scrapping dug one off. I think what happened is the window must have leaked sometime and somebody got a bit crazy with silicone sealant, then popped the trim down on it. When that stuff is stuffed in around the clips, they don't want to let go even after you've sliced what you can. Fun Fun Fun

Bruce69Camaro

#6 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:57 am

If for some reason you plan to pull the glass out, when you go to install it, Autozone sells a 3/8" window ribbon kit for under $8.00, at least that's what it cost me here in PA.

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:00 am

Yup, it's coming out and lexan's going in. Thanks for the tip on the seal, that's a fair price.

Bruce69Camaro

#8 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:06 am

Another thing to think about, are you going to run the window trim again or run the lexan to the edge and black the edges out?

If you are going to use the trim, then you might want to get lexan close to the thickness of your rear window, which is what 1/4" or 5/16"?

Then when you put the trim back on, there won't be so much of a gap between the lexan and trim.

Understand what I'm trying to say? It's early and I'm not awake just yet..... :scratch:

Bruce

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:10 am

I'll be using the trim as we have a rule requirement that it's to "look like" regular windows. Yeah, I'm with you on the thickness

mytmouz

#10 Post by mytmouz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:53 am

You can run the 'thin', just use a rubber gasket under the plastiglass that is thick enough to make up the difference...
Trucks are for haulin...

John_Heard
Site Admin

#11 Post by John_Heard » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Success!

This was what I was dealing with...

Gotta say one thing, that stuff sure held the trim down tight.
Attachments
trim.jpg

Bruce69Camaro

#12 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:08 am

Who needs window clips when you got RTV...... and you thought duct tape was man best friend :scratch:

Bruce