Fiberglass Hood Prep

All about making her shine

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Fiberglass Hood Prep

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 am

I'm looking to order my new fiberglass hood within a few weeks. I'm going with Fiberboy Fiberglass which I've gotten some good feedback on and he makes a five inch cowl.

I plan to use dzus fasteners to hood it down.

So with this in mind, should I trim the lip on the side of the hood off or just notch it when the dzus plates will be?

Also I know they reccomend at least 10 or more fasteners, so I planned four in the front, and four on each side, do I need any on the rear of the hood (at the cowl panel)?

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Fiberglass Hood Prep

#2 Post by John_Heard » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:35 am

In my opinion, it looks better if trim the entire lip vs just where the brackets go. But that's really just a matter of opinion, you'll see them done both ways. Hard to say if you'll need Dzus's on the back of the hood, depends on how stiff it is, etc. One thing you might think about is some striker bolts (like what used to be on the front of your stock hood with the little rubber bumpers). Something to just hold the hood up in position vs more dzus's. Would make it a little easier to get on and off.

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:04 am

I did something similar like that on my trunk lid. I used these flat headed, type carriage bolts that we have at work and put them closer to the edge of my trunk and they help take some of the weight off from the rear spoiler off of the fiberglass deck lid.

I like the look of no lip, so I think that will be the way I go.

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

BracketNova

#4 Post by BracketNova » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm

I left the edge on mine...you can barely tell it's cut for the brackets. I have 3 dzus clips on each side one in back. I also made a bracket that attaches to the back of the emblem on the front of the hood that slips through another bracket and pins.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs