Fuel Pumps?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

FARRIGNO

Re: Fuel Pumps?

#16 Post by FARRIGNO » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:58 pm

nastynova wrote:Well the Aeromotive Pump I got has an adjustable bypass -8 line to the cell that's why I was wondering about the return line from the carb. As far as the Nitrous side after the reg. I have a -4 line in a tee fitting just before the solenoid with an .020 jet in it to bleed off the pressure to keep it from creeping. I'm just hoping this pump is going to be enough, the tech guy at Aeromotive said it would be enough to feed the motor and a single stage kit up to around 250 to 300.
I personally don't have any expeirence on aeromotive pumps,but the bypass sounds rite.
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

ytnova

#17 Post by ytnova » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:25 am

I just did the returns for the engine mearly to make sure there was no pressure creep at idle, I cruise my car around on the street as well as we had a race series here where we would have to do a 30 mile cruise and then run heads up, and I have had some issues with it creeping up a little in the dead of summer when it really hot out and flooding the engine. For a full out race car, I wouldn't have done it, it was kind of precautionary on my part. I also figured it couldn't hurt to make sure all of the air is out of all of the lines, as well as hot fuel, before I made a pass, the magnafuel pump is more than capable of covering it.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

nastynova

#18 Post by nastynova » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:00 am

Hey ytnova what's your opinion of the Aeromotive A2000 pump?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#19 Post by John_Heard » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:58 am

An A2000 will feed a LOT more than the engine and a small single stage. That's the pump I have on my car, I've not ran into any issues with it keeping up with the demand yet.

nastynova

#20 Post by nastynova » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks John! That's exactly what I wanted to hear!
Got everything today from Summit and hopefully I'll get most of the new system ran tonight and try out this weekend with better results than before.

nastynova

#21 Post by nastynova » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:45 pm

Well I got everything plumbed in lastnight, mounted the new pump, finished up today, the whole new system already seems a whole lot better, the pressure seems to be more stable with no more bouncin' around like it did before even at idle. I've got the carb reg. set at 7.75# and the Nitrous reg. set at 6#'s should I be worried about the pressure dropping below a safe point when I'm on the spray? I know with 6#'s it's still going to be a fat tune but I just don't want to start off with 5.5# and for some odd reason have the pressure drop too low which I wouldn't think it would with this pump. Any ideas from anyone? Thanks!

John_Heard
Site Admin

#22 Post by John_Heard » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:12 pm

Note that the fuel pressure that nitrous companies are referring to is flowing fuel pressure. The fuel pressure you're reading on your gauge without the nitrous on would be your static pressure. The pressure will drop when you start spraying it.

Ideally you would be using a Flow Tool to set your fuel pressure for the nitrous system. Most nitrous companies sell a tool to do this with so that you can get a close setting for the flowing fuel pressure. If you don't have one, you can pull the plate off, stick it in a bucket and trigger the system to set it that way. You should notice that it'll drop some pressure. Don't bother putting extra pressure in it, if it's a standard NOS type tune up it's going to be way fat anyway without you adding any extra fuel to it.

nastynova

#23 Post by nastynova » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks John! I'll have to find it somewhere but at one point I had the parts list to make a poor mans flow tool, I'll have to do some digging and see if I can come across it again!

ytnova

#24 Post by ytnova » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:02 pm

Nitrous supply has a good flow kit for @200 bucks.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

dadnova

#25 Post by dadnova » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:21 pm

Race Pump here. Not having to listen to all that noise is great and I don't have to turn it on either, and it won't just stop working all of a sudden as an electric pump will. 450 Gal. an hour and I can totally rebuild it for $10.
I find that hard to beat.
Gotta plan, spend it before she can, and go as fast as you can.

jmarkaudio

#26 Post by jmarkaudio » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:33 am

You will do OK with any of the above pumps, Magnafuel, Aeromotive or the one I rune Aerospace. Anytime you have to push the fuel forward you need a pump with more capacity. A bypass regulator is a good idea as well.

Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.