lets talk BBC headers

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

mytmouz

Re: lets talk BBC headers

#16 Post by mytmouz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:16 am

The headers on my truck were custom built by a local guy for $670.00 They are 2-1/8 tube. I have a small block with angle plug heads and can swap plugs on all tubes with a socket and ratchet. I believe he's up to $750.00 now. No one makes off the shelfs for LUV's anymore... :nutkick:
Trucks are for haulin...

wikd69

#17 Post by wikd69 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:26 pm

I guess this may not be all that applicable to me - my combo - Gen-1 Camaro, MarkIV big block, TH400, standard front clip, etc., provides me with a lot of off-the-shelf options for headers. If I were running something less main-stream, Lemons would likely be of more benefit to me. As it is, I did spend something over $700 for these Hookers. The only 'tweak' required was a dimple needed to clear one of my A-arm studs on the right side - something I've seen in almost all other Gen-1 Big-Block installs using these tubes.

The only real complaint I have with these Hookers is how low they hang - I'd like them better if they did hug the floor boards closer.

What kind of dollars have folks spent on Lemons ? I've heard big numbers from others ($1,000+), it's one of the things that kept me from investigating this option in the past?
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

sunsation540

#18 Post by sunsation540 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:27 pm

1200-1500 for most i also have hookers 2 1/8 but i orderd a set of 4 inch merg collectors when it was all said and done coating inc i spent like 1000. not counting my time,,, i don't think i left a great deal of performance on the table but the quality is just awsome.. i hadn't installed any of his headers till this year, if there is a next time lemons is money well spent and they are always worth twice as much used as anything else.. 2 cents..
make a plan and stick to it !!

wikd69

#19 Post by wikd69 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:49 pm

sunsation540 wrote:1200-1500 for most i also have hookers 2 1/8 but i orderd a set of 4 inch merg collectors when it was all said and done coating inc i spent like 1000. not counting my time,,, i don't think i left a great deal of performance on the table but the quality is just awsome.. i hadn't installed any of his headers till this year, if there is a next time lemons is money well spent and they are always worth twice as much used as anything else.. 2 cents..
Geezly pete !!!

I just hit Lemons website and looked at their price list. All of a sudden my $700 Hookers don't sound all that bad <laffin>

Like I said earlier, everything is realtive...

supernova

#20 Post by supernova » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:46 pm

Hey wikd69,
I have a set of Dynatech headers made for a tall deck big block that worked fine. Since My new car is going to be so much more than the old one my son has now. (He wants a SBC in it) I kept the bbc for my new car. Everything else is new so why not the headers too. The Dynatech headers complete were still $950.00. That is the only off the shelf header that would fit my tall deck and chassis, still pricey though.

When I talked to Dan Lemons the other day he quoted me for a complete set ready to bolt on and go for $ 1500.00 to my door. He said it would take 8 weeks to build. I have seen alot of thair work and it's great. You do get what you pay for.

The headers that LenMar are going to build for me are just like the Lemons headers. They are going to build them on the car so I know they will fit perfect. Complete in a week and a half for $1250.00. Thats a saving of $250.00 that I can use elsewere. If I wasn't building a whole new car and just needed headers I might have bought Lemons but thats not the case. Need to save where I can.

I'll post pics of them when it's done.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

wikd69

#21 Post by wikd69 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:27 am

supernova wrote:Hey wikd69,
I have a set of Dynatech headers made for a tall deck big block that worked fine. Since My new car is going to be so much more than the old one my son has now. (He wants a SBC in it) I kept the bbc for my new car. Everything else is new so why not the headers too. The Dynatech headers complete were still $950.00. That is the only off the shelf header that would fit my tall deck and chassis, still pricey though.

When I talked to Dan Lemons the other day he quoted me for a complete set ready to bolt on and go for $ 1500.00 to my door. He said it would take 8 weeks to build. I have seen alot of thair work and it's great. You do get what you pay for.

The headers that LenMar are going to build for me are just like the Lemons headers. They are going to build them on the car so I know they will fit perfect. Complete in a week and a half for $1250.00. Thats a saving of $250.00 that I can use elsewere. If I wasn't building a whole new car and just needed headers I might have bought Lemons but thats not the case. Need to save where I can.

I'll post pics of them when it's done.
I'll be looking forward to seeing your pix :)

I guess my focus is more at a hobby level - I'm building (or have built) this Camaro to occasionally hit the strip, chase the wild hamburger and generate ooohs and ahhhhs from my adoring public. Using off-the-shelf parts and (relatively) low horsepower builds keeps me at a reasonable clip level for for price / performance. I can see where if I was to use a tall deck, lenco or an aftermarket front clip (or better yet, a full tube chassis), then things would be considerably different from a parts standpoint. As it is, my little Camaro is pretty mundane and well behaved, and while still not cheap, should live for a long time unless I do something stupid with my right foot. <g>

When I see some of the HP yeilds and ET / speed results coming out of this crowd, I have to put my little blower car in perspective. A lot of you folks *rock*... <g>

supernova

#22 Post by supernova » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:28 am

I would agree with you wikd69, there are a lot of very fast cars on this site. I also think that your car sits as one of my favorites here. A very nice put together peace that runs very well as a street car. Although It would be better as a Nova!!!!11 :mrgreen: (LOL)

Well my car has the stock frame with some mods under it. I have more room now with the front mounted rack so why not put a custom set of headers on it. It may not even run any better than the old headers but then again it might be just what it needs run it's best. The old headers are 2 1/8 with standard collectors and the new headers will be 2 1/4 with marge type collecters. Should help it some I would think.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

wikd69

#23 Post by wikd69 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:28 pm

supernova wrote:I would agree with you wikd69, there are a lot of very fast cars on this site. I also think that your car sits as one of my favorites here. A very nice put together peace that runs very well as a street car. Although It would be better as a Nova!!!!11 :mrgreen: (LOL)

Well my car has the stock frame with some mods under it. I have more room now with the front mounted rack so why not put a custom set of headers on it. It may not even run any better than the old headers but then again it might be just what it needs run it's best. The old headers are 2 1/8 with standard collectors and the new headers will be 2 1/4 with marge type collecters. Should help it some I would think.
It likely will run better - the custom header tuning and merge should help - and those 2 1/4" primaries are huge... I thought the 2 1/8 set I had picked up were large, but you'll certainly breath better. If only all that hard core hardware was stuffed inside a quality ride like a Camaro, instead of just another Nova <blink>

heh heh... :mrgreen:

supernova

#24 Post by supernova » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: LOL

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

FARRIGNO

#25 Post by FARRIGNO » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:24 pm

nothing wrong with off the shelf hookers[onlky that the flanges suck], as i had a set before my lemons,they were 2-1/8 and i cut off the 3-1/2 collectors and put a set of 4-inch ones on,but i got tired of welding cracked tubes-as i think the metal is a little thin guage,and they didn't seem to last long.just my 02 :smt002
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

wikd69

#26 Post by wikd69 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:08 pm

FARRIGNO wrote:nothing wrong with off the shelf hookers[onlky that the flanges suck], as i had a set before my lemons,they were 2-1/8 and i cut off the 3-1/2 collectors and put a set of 4-inch ones on,but i got tired of welding cracked tubes-as i think the metal is a little thin guage,and they didn't seem to last long.just my 02 :smt002
Oh great, *now* I have to go down to the shop and inspect my headers for cracks. Thanks a lot :-P

:lol:

Just kidding, of course. I know now to keep an eye on these for problems in the future.

My buddy across town has a pretty sweet ProStreet 69 Camaro with a 620 HP GMPP crate motor and he's running the same tubes I am. He ended up loping the 3-bolt collector flange off and adopted a slip tube style exhaust connection going back. It helps out a bunch with ground clearance and allows him to drop the exhaust pretty quickly.

I've considered doing the same but I'd have to re-engineer the way my mufflers and tubes mount going back (see pix below, note the tabs that mount to the inside of the subframe connectors). I'd have to revamp the way the weight is hung and so forth. Not saying I'll never get to it, but I've had other stuff to deal with.

Hey, heres a question for the group. Note the drivers side flange has the bolt hole on the bottom while the passenger side has it on the top. Is this to provide clearance on the driver's side top to account for torque flex with the motor ? Thats the only possible reason they would have designed these things the way they did. If thats not the reason, then I'm thinking their designers should stay away from the tavern at lunch time during the work week.

And no, it doesn't look this clean at the moment.<g>... Lots of fast miles and burnt rubber since these shots were taken. I bought a whole gallon of Simple Green the other day and I'm getting ready for a whole winters worth of twisting wrench, swapping parts and wiping paint. Yay.

shookler

#27 Post by shookler » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:12 am

I hate to be the fly in the honey here, but I also have Lemons headers on my BBC 84 olds. The work is beautiful but the the fit still is not right. They would not fit from the beginning on the starter side. Even after trying 3 starters and different clocking, we had to mill the side of the starter. We sent the number 6 tube back, had it rebent and still hit the frame. I heated it and bent it (yes a $1300 set of headers) and it still hits the frame. It fits so poorly that it cocks the flange and will not seal against the head. Not a real problem when I run it open headered but with the drag mufflers it makes a terrible noise under the hood with just the little bit of muffler backpressure. I think my next set will come from stahl headers.

thats just my opinion

lshook
84 olds
Newly Certified!!!!
84 Olds Backhaved
496 "HAVIN FUN"
WV