Anti-freeze

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

doczapp

Anti-freeze

#1 Post by doczapp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:13 pm

What do you guys run on the Track....straight water or antifreeze or add something to water ?? Just a thought ..what to do with my car ...Thx

drummondracing
Location: Colonial Beach VA If I am not at home or the track then I am probably at HOOTERS

Re: Anti-freeze

#2 Post by drummondracing » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:46 pm

Most tracks will have a fit if they catch you with antifreeze in the car due to if something happens like a hose blowing off it makes the cleanup much more difficult than straight water. :smt002
74 chevy luv 355 sbc bracket car
70 Nova SS bracket / t.n.t car.
(Yes REAL SS 396 DISCS 12B0LT ETC)

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE 68-74 NOVAS

TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Peters

#3 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:27 am

True on the track clean-up. Why would you need anti-freeze at the track anyway? Water is a superior heat-exchanger. The following excerpt is from the website of Stewart Components. Lots of good info there if you care to look -

Coolant
UNEQUIVOCALLY WATER IS THE BEST COOLANT! We recommend using a corrosion inhibitor comparable to Prestone Super Anti-Rust when using pure water. If freezing is a concern, use the minimum amount of antifreeze required for your climate. Stewart Components has extensively tested all of the popular "magic" cooling system additives, and found that none work better than water. In fact, some additives have been found to swell the water pumps seals and contribute to pump failures.

In static cooling situations, such as quenching metal during heat treating, softening agents (sometimes referred to as water wetting agents) will allow the water to cool the quenched part more evenly and quickly. The part will cool quicker, and the water will heat up faster. However, an automotive cooling system is not static. In fact, the velocities inside a cooling system are comparable to a fire hose forcing coolant against the walls of the engine's water jackets. If the softening agents actually aided in cooling the engine, the temperature of the coolant as it exited the engine would have to be higher because it would have absorbed more heat.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

chpcamaro

#4 Post by chpcamaro » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:02 am

i use water solube oil in my radaitor it works great i have been using it for years with zero problems
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

Ls7camaro

#5 Post by Ls7camaro » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:50 am

I always just ran water and water wetter(pink stuff, for a pump lubricant). I got popped at a track once when my catch can hose spit some on the track, I was running a 50/50 mix at that time.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.

drag chevette

#6 Post by drag chevette » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:36 pm

the pink anti-freeze that you use in your RVs water lines, its alcohol based and not oil based.

I have ran the pink stuff for years and not a bit of issues.

if you dump some on the track, it cleans up quick and evaps away quickly.

P.S. make sure all the Green anti freeze is gone before dumping in the pink.

TubbedTruck67

#7 Post by TubbedTruck67 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Straight water here. Do I need to be running some kind of aditive to lube the water pump?

sunsation540

#8 Post by sunsation540 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:11 pm

water wetter.. half a gallon of dexicool it also will evap!!llube pump and keep rust at bay.. nice runs on sat by the way had a great time!
make a plan and stick to it !!

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:51 am

I use a can of diesel water pump lube - NAPA-Kool which is made by wix. This seems to prevent rust ok.

want-a-be

#10 Post by want-a-be » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:56 pm

chpcamaro wrote:i use water solube oil in my radaitor it works great i have been using it for years with zero problems
Water soluble oil is the best thing you can run. Go to NAPA and buy a gallon of it. It will last you a long time. You don't need much of it as it cuts something like 50-1 with water. This is whats used on lathes and mills to keep the tooling cool. Your water passages in your block will love you for it since corrosion will go to almost nothing. I have a few engines, in both drag and circle track racing, that I maintain that I had installed new Dart cast iron heads on. After running a few years the with the water soluble the water passages in the heads still looks brand new. There is no rust in them at all. No corrosion in the water passages of the block and heads will lead to better cooling. I run the stuff in my every day drivers also. Works with antifreeze also.

I've seen some of the water additives work on the aluminum engine components in the past. This stuff doesn't do any of that. Cleans up at the track ok also since it desolves in water.

Don't race with out it....lol

Don

John_Heard
Site Admin

#11 Post by John_Heard » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:30 am

What are the boosted guys using that dump part or all of their water after a pass? Anything?

Mike Peters

#12 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:42 am

John_Heard wrote:What are the boosted guys using that dump part or all of their water after a pass? Anything?
John, did you see this thread? ;)

http://yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55551
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

John_Heard
Site Admin

#13 Post by John_Heard » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:51 am

Why yes, I have lol. 8-) Also been talking with Clint about it.