Titaniunm connecting rods

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

soslojoe1970

Titaniunm connecting rods

#1 Post by soslojoe1970 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:17 am

Anybody using them? How much horse power gains? What brand? Cost?

Thanks

Mike Peters

Re: Titaniunm connecting rods

#2 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:22 am

soslojoe1970 wrote:Anybody using them? How much horse power gains? What brand? Cost?

Thanks
Anybody using them? I think all the LS7 guys are using them. :-P

Horsepower gains? I doubt any but, they would probably allow your engine to accelerate faster due to the lower reciprocating weight over steel. No lighter than aluminum rods but, would probably be beneficial if someone wants lighter rods and doesn't have the clearance to use aluminum. I don't know how well Ti rods hold up to large power adders. I doubt they're stronger than steel rods and don't provide the cushioning effect that aluminum rods do. Ti rods would fill a very narrow niche in the market IMO and their cost is prohibitive for the guys who might benefit from them. Big horsepower engines usually run aluminum rods for the reason stated above. The majority of bracket racers will run steel for their durability and cost and can find more cost effective parts to build more horsepower if needed.

I'm waiting for the carbon fiber rods myself..... :twisted:
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Yellowchevelle

#3 Post by Yellowchevelle » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:23 am

We have used a set of these in a dirt late model engine. They definatly make for a light bobweight but the cost of them is so expensive we dont use them. I think Crower got like $3800 about 5 years ago so im sure they are much more than that. Crower and GRP are the only ones that I have seen but im sure that are others that make them.

On another note I would like to see these guys make an automotive connecting rod http://www.mxcomposites.com/index.php

Matt
AEM Racing Engines

jmarkaudio

#4 Post by jmarkaudio » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:58 pm

With the quality improving with steel, not worth the expense. Even some Pro Stock using steel rods now. With Titanium, you have to have a LOT of parting line clearance on a higher RPM engine as TI is more elastic than steel or aluminum.
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:46 am

Yellowchevelle wrote:We have used a set of these in a dirt late model engine. They definatly make for a light bobweight but the cost of them is so expensive we dont use them. I think Crower got like $3800 about 5 years ago so im sure they are much more than that. Crower and GRP are the only ones that I have seen but im sure that are others that make them.

On another note I would like to see these guys make an automotive connecting rod http://www.mxcomposites.com/index.php

Matt
AEM Racing Engines
Those would make me worry... Used some things like that in manufacturing truck brake parts and I didn't care for the material, seemed worse than cast steel to me strength wise, but they are cheap to make.

Mike Peters

#6 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:23 am

John_Heard wrote: Those would make me worry... Used some things like that in manufacturing truck brake parts and I didn't care for the material, seemed worse than cast steel to me strength wise, but they are cheap to make.
"MMC"....that's the stuff the Mark Williams guy was bragging to me about when I was asking about driveshafts. It was supposed to be in short supply during the Iraq war and priced accordingly. I was told it is much stronger than the conventional aluminum driveshafts but, I really don't know the material matrix of its composition. I assume it's the same "MMC" at this MX Composites as what MW was suggesting to me :scratch:
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"