carb cfm?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

sc racing

Re: carb cfm?

#16 Post by sc racing » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Hitchcock wrote:I would love to do a centrifugal blower through a tunnel ram set up. But Have never seen one. If that is not an effective way to get boosted I will eventually go roots. I have spent plenty of time on Littlefields website.
If you do 2 blowers each carb would have its own :thumb:

Hitchcock

#17 Post by Hitchcock » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:37 am

sc racing wrote:
Hitchcock wrote:I would love to do a centrifugal blower through a tunnel ram set up. But Have never seen one. If that is not an effective way to get boosted I will eventually go roots. I have spent plenty of time on Littlefields website.

That is an outstanding idea! Wanna loan me ten grand? :mrgreen: Blower motors are really cool, and I have always wanted one (or two as you suggest). But as luck has it, I'm just a poor boy with a rich mans hobby.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

sc racing

#18 Post by sc racing » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:02 am

Hitchcock wrote:
sc racing wrote:

That is an outstanding idea! Wanna loan me ten grand? :mrgreen: Blower motors are really cool, and I have always wanted one (or two as you suggest). But as luck has it, I'm just a poor boy with a rich mans hobby.
Yeah me to

Hitchcock

#19 Post by Hitchcock » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:26 pm

I know, I was just about to call the shassis shop and get my roll cage done and the ol loady decided we were gonna replace a few windows and the living room floor. Unfortunately my living room is a bout 450 sq ft, and there goes my roll cage! :( :(
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

HPDRIFTER

#20 Post by HPDRIFTER » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:43 am

Don't you think that someone puts commerically available carbs on a flow bench to verify the flow, at specific barometric pressures, before they are sold as a particular CFM?

It seems to me that a tunnel ram, down stream form a centrifical (or any other type of) blower wold be counter productive. A "tunnel" ram's purpose is to create enhanced flow thru the extended runners at specific rpm ranges. Your blower is providing the flow; so what is the tunnel ram's function? The fast cars are running a single plane manifold with their centrifical blowers or turbos. It's hard to argue with success.

Hitchcock

#21 Post by Hitchcock » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:44 am

HPDRIFTER wrote:Don't you think that someone puts commerically available carbs on a flow bench to verify the flow, at specific barometric pressures, before they are sold as a particular CFM?

It seems to me that a tunnel ram, down stream form a centrifical (or any other type of) blower wold be counter productive. A "tunnel" ram's purpose is to create enhanced flow thru the extended runners at specific rpm ranges. Your blower is providing the flow; so what is the tunnel ram's function? The fast cars are running a single plane manifold with their centrifical blowers or turbos. It's hard to argue with success.

I know, I have posed the question several time wether or not it will work. And you just dont see it being done. :( In reality, I will probably never have a power adder car. The next mill I do will probably be a big incher out of a dart block. An all N/A.

I slso wondered if the larger plenum on a tunnel ram is harfer to pressurise, and you would have to run the blower faster to get the same positive pressure. I have asked this question to several builders, and never got a reply. That orange nova that Pro Charger built with the bbc 427 inch motor has a dual carb setup, but it's on older offenhauser low rise, with two modified holley 450's.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter