Oil cooler pro's vs con's

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

sbcnova

Oil cooler pro's vs con's

#1 Post by sbcnova » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:29 am

My car see's quite a bit of street time. Like 100 mile round trip to the track and back. Do you guys think my engine would be beneficial from a oil cooler? I already have a b&m super cooler for the trans. I was thinking of installing one of their super coolers for the oil also. I just want some other opinions first. Thanks in advance for any help.

sc racing

#2 Post by sc racing » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:14 am

I would think as long as you mount it so it dosent take any air flow away from the radiator or trans cooler it would only help cool things down.
Just my .02 I never used one.

Goat Hearder

#3 Post by Goat Hearder » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:00 pm

Have seen some newer cars with them as a factory option. The cooler mounts stacked out front and the Thermostat adapter mounts between the filter and block (96 SS Impala). A friend builds motors for a guy that vintage races a 66 Mustang built to resemmble the old R Model. They use one, But that car sees some severe R's and constant varying speeds. At Daytona I think they have run 160 plus. It helps them but I would think that if you drive reasonably on the street and use a synthetic engine oil with adeqate cooling system you would be ok. Besides it adds more weight! Good luck with your decision.