Need Some Imput On a New Engine

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

mmsports33

Need Some Imput On a New Engine

#1 Post by mmsports33 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:43 pm

Ok guy's.....let me run all this by ya and see if I can get some opinions & input. Time to start thinking about a new engine for the old Nova. Now here's where it gets tricky....I'm on a pretty tight budget so let me tell ya the parts I have and see what ya think. I've got a 454 block & crank and a set of oval port heads-bone stock..... but nothing else......I've got a good 350 block and I've got a good 355 short block....TRW forged (heavy) pistons...pink rods...steel crank....solid but not the most racey combo....and I've got a NICE pair of SB Dart Iron Eagle 230's and a good matching intake......SO do you think think I should pony up and build the big block......do a little porting on the heads........ or maybe order a "budget" 383 assy for the one 350 block and put the Dart heads on it or just put in the "heavy" 355 with the Dart Heads on it and spray the bag off of it? The car is a 72 nova...3000lbs (w/small block)...stock suspension....street strip.....mostly strip.....4.56 gear...th400......remember.....not much money for this deal.....need good bang for the buck.........what you think?

sunsation540

#2 Post by sunsation540 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:57 pm

spend a little on the heads pick the right solid cam and chase the converter and a small shot and go play...the guy with ten million is he ANY happier than the guy with 9 million.. staying broke and chasing Mr et gets old/// IMHO..
make a plan and stick to it !!

kyleracer

#3 Post by kyleracer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:11 pm

What BBC heads do you have ? Some of the heads like the 049 heads work real good without any porting. Even a cast BBC crank and 2 bolt block will go into the 10's without any problems. Why not sell or trade some of the SBC stuff for parts needed for the BBC - if you think you will end up wanting a BBC down the road. That way you only need to spend the money once for the BBC pieces. If not there are some pretty good deals on SBC parts this time of the year from the dirt and drag part guys !! IMO :-)

mytmouz

#4 Post by mytmouz » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:40 pm

If you are currently running a small block, then you have the mounts, headers, pulleys, etc. for the 383 with the 230's. Just my .02.
Trucks are for haulin...

sverbus

#5 Post by sverbus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:45 am

Yeah, that 383 done right, and not having to spend money on brackets, headers and stuff like that, would be the way to go to get some good bang for your buck.

I also agree if you're willing to do the work and semi-frustration that goes along with selling your SBC parts to build the BB then do that as that BB will have way more potential I'd think.
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

mmsports33

#6 Post by mmsports33 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:46 pm

I guess I should have given you some specs on the BBC heads.....they are 346236....open chamber peanut port heads.....now from what I can gather these are anywhere from junk to ok with a little work depending on who you ask........anybody have any experience with these? And yeah.....I do have a lot of SB stuff for the car already but I've got buy a new set of headers either way......also I know it's kind of a silly question but do you think it would be worth the extra expense to go out and get a 400 SB instead of doing the 383? I mean with 400 blocks being kind of hit or miss will the extra power be worth the extra dollars?

dadnova

#7 Post by dadnova » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:26 pm

Check the adds to finds things cheeper. I have a very good set of SuperComp headers with the evac's allready on them I will sell for a song, as I can't use them no more with the new Turbo system. I have many SBC stuff I no longer use, just sitting in a cabinet. Just ask, I probable have it.

If money is tight, stay with what you have. A good 400 block is getting hard to find, and if you do, you still have to put money into it, to make it right. You will have to have it magna fluxed just to see if its really a good block. The last one I bought looked really good and has been sitting in a car for twenty years. After building it and adding power, it started splitting and cracking all over, then $2500 later a new Dart block.

PM me if you want to talk about them, so we don't clog the page.
Attachments
headers.jpg
Gotta plan, spend it before she can, and go as fast as you can.

kyleracer

#8 Post by kyleracer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:16 pm

The peanut ports are good for pulling your race car to the track in your truck. If that is what you have and only want to rev to 5000 they are great for low end but have no top end at all. I would stick with the SBC parts if money is tight. I agree with the idea of a 400 but they are as much as a BBC to build right. Might as well go with the 383 or 377 idea. Good luck :-)

Stickshifter 55

#9 Post by Stickshifter 55 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:31 pm

I'm not a fan of the SB Dart Iron Eagle 230's.. 200 cc runners are a touch big for 355 and I have had to work a bit too hard to get them work on 383's.
I would go for the BBC.

Yellowchevelle

#10 Post by Yellowchevelle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:01 pm

First off how much power are you wanting to make? What type of fuel do you want to run? And most importantly how long do you plan on keeping this engine after you build it? Sometimes the "cheap" way to build an engine can cost more in the long run!

Matt
AEM Racing Engines
Salina, KS

mmsports33

#11 Post by mmsports33 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Oh no.......I know how you "pro" race engine guy's are........"it will never live unless you put the best parts in it that money can buy" (or the parts you get for a good price and can charge full price!). Don't get mad.....I'm just messin with you....I work for a Truck team and the owner has a race engine buisness also (Lafferty Engine Creations) and he's a real nice guy.........but seriously.....I think we're only gonna need about 500HP....I think I'm gonna end up running this 7.0 class here until the budget gets a little better.......we'll run it on race gas....it's 110 or 112 at our track I believe.........as for how long it needs to last ........I want it to last forever of coarse!......I think I'll probly put the "heavy" forged piston motor in it with the Dart heads.....I know the heads are a little big but I think if we match up the cam as best as we can and put a little gas on it I think we'll be ok................

fast68rs

#12 Post by fast68rs » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:12 am

Put the small block together! it is fairly easy to make 500 hp even with a 355ci and your dart heads. You just need to have good machine work, decent compression and cam. I have had a 355ci, trw baby dome piston, Dart 220s, victor jr intake, solid cam (not roller) make 480hp and go 11.10 in a 3300lbs Camaro in the 1/4. Went 10.15 with a 200 shot nos plate. And we beat the hell out of that thing. Even on the street. :lol:

mmsports33

#13 Post by mmsports33 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:16 pm

Hey sounds like you had a nice little SB there! Thats pretty much what we're looking for right now.....it's nice to know somebody has run a similar combo with success.............10.15 with a 200 shot......hmmmm......I wonder if I...........