1st trip to track was dismal with alcohol

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

rustbucket

1st trip to track was dismal with alcohol

#1 Post by rustbucket » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:18 pm

well, the tunnel ram and 2 toilets didnt do worth a crap! :evil:
1st pass a 7.01 with exaust temps of 550 degrees (76 return pill)
2nd pass a 7.08 w/ exaust temps of 620 with a 86 pill
3rd pass of a 7.10 w/exaust temps of 670 with a 96 pill

i dont get it :?: im leaning it out and and it slows down.
my exaust temps should be 1150?

the alky slowed down the car by 4/10ths. on motor.

any ideas?
.5 pump with 31 nozzel jets, the above bypass pills.
thanks
406sbc, powerglide, nitrous
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DssW5vc_t3k

Dodgeman

Re: 1st trip to track was dismal with alcohol

#2 Post by Dodgeman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:40 pm

What was your water temperature getting up to?

If the engine is built and you have a really good set of heads you need some bigger nozzles in it, I would go to a 35 and try the 86 on the return.
Come visit us at www.MidsouthRacers.com

Yellowchevelle

#3 Post by Yellowchevelle » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:56 pm

What ignition system are u running?

mikeT

#4 Post by mikeT » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:00 pm

A while back I was gonna switch to the dual toilets on a SBC tunnelram. I contacted James Monroe from www.killerrons.com and he was very helpful!! Answered emails quick.He is like the GURU with the Rons injection.

rustbucket

#5 Post by rustbucket » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:46 pm

the highest exaust temp was 670 and the engine water temp never rose above 140 (with the water pump and fan cut off.
msd 6al box, msd dist, # 8 plugs.

is killer rons and rons toilet 2 different companys? there are 2 different web sites.
I tinkered with it at home today and built some exaust temps with a 108 pill. Wont know what differance it will make untill sunday.

I have 225 cnc ported heads and the motor has 13:1 compression.
Im not sure about horsepower. In my nova, it runs a 6.70 1/8th mile on motor with a quick fuel 950. Im guessing around 500-550hp.
is there a calculator on line that would estimate hp from 1/8th mile e.t.?
Thanks again, tony

clutchdude

#6 Post by clutchdude » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:01 am

I agree talk to one or both of the companys and they can get your setup straightened out. To me it sounds dead rich thats why it wont get any heat in it. i have played with some EFI cars on methanol and we could get the car so rich it would spray fuel out the exhaust at idle and would still run ok. It may take you sending your pump and nozzles in to get them flowed and with that info they should be able to get you a tuneup thats close to start with. I think you said in the past you bought it as a complete unit but for the small fee it might be worth it.

I will say that with my setup(which is similar to yours) picked up .3 and 3 mph on the first pass and was with a clutch that slipped the whole run. Mine was also dead rich and could not get it over 140 deg and my front end is blocked off. My setup ended up dropping .5 secs and picked up 5mph. The best part is the hotter i get the car before the run the faster it goes!
190 deg. is the most i have been able to get it to on the starting line. Also on the return road i pull the fuel shutoff most of the way so it leans out, builds heat and the oil in my car looks like a gas motor and i have not put on my vacuum pump yet.

Dont lose hope, it will run way better in the end and you will look forward to hot lapping!

Jim

P.S. my exhaust temps are about 1100 and ignition is msd 6al

mikeT

#7 Post by mikeT » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:25 pm

James from killerrons is I believe a dealer for Rons injection, He's also a racer so he has alot of experience with the Rons stuff.

sc racing

#8 Post by sc racing » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:26 pm

My firebird used to have a blown alcohol bbc in it when my buddy owed it. He had no cooling system at all and a heater on the bottom of the oil pan to get heat in the engine.He would just plug it in to the generator before making passes.Also a lot of guys out here (Tucson) use Ron's stuff,not just because he's the local guy .
Most of them that I haved talked to switched to alky because its so hot here. Its really hard to run cool with race gas.Its been 106*-109* everyday for the past 2 weeks here. flameon:

vegaracer

#9 Post by vegaracer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:01 pm

IN our small blocks, we run from a 120 to 130 main with 30 o 31 port nozzles. Thats on a Enderle hat injection deal, but it still seems like you're trying to pump a pile of fuel through the car. Can you shut the fuel of manually in your car? I so, shut the fuel off until it sounds like the cars going to die, and then it will build heat a lot quicker.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

want-a-be

#10 Post by want-a-be » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Sounds like that thing is running waaaayyy phat!! Are you getting any raw fuel comming out of the headers? If so be careful with that it'll burn your car down and anything around it.

What system pressure are you running at? What is it bypassing at. I'm not use to the ron's injection, but I do have alot of experience with the stack and bird/bug catcher injections. They use a main and a high speed bypass, some will also run a mid range bypass but thats mostly in circle track stuff.

Are you running a low speed and high speed bypass with this system?

Don

WCRE

rustbucket

#11 Post by rustbucket » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:02 pm

update... yesterday evening i called rons to order some larger return pills (110-140) the salesman made more sence to me than the tech support.He said i needed to run a 0 pump and not a .5. He said by running a big pump with a big bypass pill i was returning the fuel but at the same time lowering the fuel pressure to a point to where the nozzels wouldnt spray the fuel like they were designed to. He suggested, go with a o pump and start with a 80 pill. Today we put on a o and a 84 pill, and 20 seconds at idle the exaust temps were around 500 degrees. Thats about twice as hot as previous. Maybe we're on to something. I apparently broke a belt in one of my slicks sunday because doing a burn out i thought my tach was gonna jump off the dash a slap me in the face. Anyhow im gonna pick up some tires this week and try and make to the track a week from this sunday. Thanks for all the help and i'll let you know how it goes...

70NOVA

#12 Post by 70NOVA » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:30 am

sounds way to fat must get temp up to 180 or close you might have to put a leanout on it to get it there

rustbucket

#13 Post by rustbucket » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:27 pm

2nd trip results with 0 fuel pump and bypass of 80 to start out.
7.80 :evil: Not only have slowed down 1.2 seconds but my exaust temps still didnt come up over 750 degrees with a new pump. Changed the bypass to a 94 and still ran like crap.
Coming down the return road I noticed I had lost all oil pressure so I shut it down and pulled it back. I thought i had washed down the bearings and spun a bearing, but on a closer look see, it appears the oil pump bolt came out because the oil pump shaft was 3 inches lower than the dist drive gear. Gonna have to pull the motor.