New Quickfuel Mechanical fuel pump...

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

sverbus

New Quickfuel Mechanical fuel pump...

#1 Post by sverbus » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:45 am

Ok, first off, check out this....

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... &langId=-1

Alright, now after reading about that pump...has anyone ran this pump, heard about someone running it, or have any knowledge?

I under estimated my fuel consumption on my 434 SBC stroker motor and so I had lots of problems last year.

Current fuel config:
Holley Blue pump
K&N filter
10an line from fuel cell to filter
6an line from filter to pump and then to regulator (dead head style)
6an from regulator to carb (which is a 820 Annular booster Race Demon)

Possible new config:
Quickfuel Mechanical pump
Aeromotive regulator (return style)
10an from fuel cell to filter, which will still be located at the rear of the car near the fuel cell
8an from filter to carb
6an return line back to cell

What does that look like for a fuel setup?

I'll post some pics of the car and motor as i Just got a camera for xmas and im itchin to get some pics of the car on my computer.

Thanks fellas,

Scott

ytnova

#2 Post by ytnova » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:35 pm

Go to www.racepumps.com. They are the people who really build the pump. I have seen one in person and damn are they small! Supposedly they will support over 2000hp. They have a q&a forum on there to ask questions about plumbing and stuff. I have been thinking of running one of these on my big block as well, just have not got that far.

sverbus

#3 Post by sverbus » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:46 pm

SWEET! Lots of information on that site. Thanks for the link. I'm going to run one of these this year.

They say no return line is needed, is actually discouraged! So I'll run -8an line from filter (which is still in the back of the car by the cell) and run that 8an to the pump.

Then from pump to regulator/splitter to each individual bowl on the Demon.

I should have no problems with this setup!

Im interested in some idea's you guys might have about the best way to run that big 8an line up from the fuel cell to the pump??

Thanks fellas, and have a good New Year!

Scott

ytnova

#4 Post by ytnova » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:13 am

I currently have have two filters and two blue pumps, one for the mtor and one for the gas, all 8an. I think when I use that pump I will still use both filters, but upgrade to 10an, then y them together into a single 10an or 12an and run that to the pump, then run a 10 an to the regulator with two 8ans, one to each bowl. I thought I might even run a cutoff valve between the pump and regulator so I can shut off the fuel on the return road and run some of the fuel from the bowls for jet changes.

BBC71Nova

#5 Post by BBC71Nova » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:41 am

That pumps sounds like a cool idea. Only concerns I would have is that if you do a search there are quite a few people who have complained about vapor lock with the pump. Not sure if they were running the thicker insulating gasket that is available or not.

Also, in a drag racing application I wonder if having a mechanical pump(or any pump) up front would have problems overcoming the initial launch in which the fuel in the lines will want to stay put while the car moves forward. With a typical electric pump install, the pump is in the back pushing the fuel forward under load instead of trying to suck it through the line.

Keep us updated on how it works because it would make for a clean and relatively lower cost install.

John