Fuel Pumps?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

nastynova

Fuel Pumps?

#1 Post by nastynova » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:20 pm

Just like the Subject said, what do most of you run for fuel pumps, we've ran in to a fuel starvation issue and narrawed it down to the pump just not being able to keep up with the needs of the motor. It's a 434" making a 721hp and 250 shot of juice. We tried running the car with the Holley HP 150 on just the motor which it said that it was capable of supporting 900HP and to say the least it doesn't! We had to jack the pressure up to around 10#'s just so the thing wouldn't break up on the top end. Also seeing that Holley doesn't make their 350 or 500GPH Pumps anymore what would be the next best choice.

sc racing

Re: Fuel Pumps?

#2 Post by sc racing » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:25 pm

I think most of the guys run MagnaFuel pumps.

supernova

#3 Post by supernova » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:53 am

Are you running a bypass regulator? What kind of f/p are you running? Are you running the n2o reg. before or after the carb reg? And s the n2o reg. a bypass reg?

The HP 150 will support your 434 with a bypass reg. but not much more.

You would be better off with a bigger, better pump.

I run the BG 400 from f/t in the trunk to the carb and a Holley blue pump for the n2o tank at the core support. I only run a 200 shot.

I know moving feul from the rear to front is hard to do when you have a fast car. It has to fight G force of the cars forward motion.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

ytnova

#4 Post by ytnova » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:38 am

Magnafuel prostar 500 for me, runs my motor and both kits.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

nastynova

#5 Post by nastynova » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 am

Right now I have the a single -8 to the filter from there to the pump and a -8 all the way to a big holley carb regulator which is dead headed, on the inlet port of this reg. have a t fitting on the inbound side which splits over with a -8 to another regulator which feeds the fuel side of the nitrous, on the fuel solenoid feed line from the reg. I have a -6 to the solenoid and then I have an .020 jet to bleed off the pressure which returns back to the fuel cell via a -4 line. I'm running 7.5#'s on the carb which is a 1150 Dominator and on the Nitrous side I'm running 6#'s

supernova

#6 Post by supernova » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:17 pm

The dead head reg is the problem. Use a bypass type reg the flow both back to the tank and that should fix some of the issues.

A bypass reg will flow more feul pressure at consistant higher pressure than a dead head will.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

ytnova

#7 Post by ytnova » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:46 pm

A 150 gallon per hour pump is probably enough if the car is static, but a drag car is anything but static. A bigger pump or two seperate ones like posted above is in order. The reason most of us step up to a bigger pump is not only because of flow, but because of pressure also. Lets just say your -8 line holds a gallon of fuel between the pump and the regulator. A gallon of fuel is around 7 pounds, now when the car is accelerating down the track at maybe 2 g's, it now is around 14 pounds, most pumps around that size only have a output pressure of 14-15 psi and the regulator steps down that pressure to 7 or so. You can see how the pump is adequate with no forces are applied, but barely able to fill the bowls once you are accelerating, hence one reason guys put a separate tank and pump in the front of the car in front of the engine using gravity(or g force) to do some of the work for us. I would also mount the regulators in front of or atleast even with what ever you are feeding, remember, after the regulator it now only has 6-7 psi. A bypass regulator helps, but it still may not cure your problem. Myself and some of the other guys all use the magnafuels, but product engineering, bg, aeromotive and weldon are all good choices.We also usually still go back and raise the fuel pressure from stock pump setting. Hope this helps-ED
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

nastynova

#8 Post by nastynova » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:46 pm

Thanks guys it definitely makes since to me and unfortunately I made the mistake when planning the fuel system, hopefully I can recover some of my money spent on this POS Holley Fuel Pump I have now. I'll be ordering up my new pump here in the next day or so, so even with a pump with a bypass on it to adjust pressure should I still run a return line back to the cell or just stay with my dead head system. Also I see where most of the bigger pumps like to use a relay, I've never been one to use them on anything just cause it's more wires and screwing around, other than running a 10 Ga. wire for the pump to the switch and so on should I run a relay or can I get away with out it. Thanks again for all your help.
Oh here's a picture of the current plumbing in the front half of the system for you to see.
Attachments
DSC04101.jpg

FARRIGNO

#9 Post by FARRIGNO » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:47 pm

if it were me i would just run 1-500gph type pump and y-it off to your nos side, and reg. it down to the sols. i would also recommend running a high amp relay,on a 500-gph pump because of the amp draw,just my 02.
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

rich

#10 Post by rich » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:19 pm

so that why dragster funny cars etc put the fuel up frt duh great reply :idea:

supernova

#11 Post by supernova » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:27 pm

Your still better off running a bypass reg at the n2o and carb. N2o first.

By the way, Nice motor!

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

ytnova

#12 Post by ytnova » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:05 am

From the pic, you look pretty good, but I would also do a return at the rear carb bowl with a jet in it and then y it back to the other return(nos) and run it back to the tank. Then a bigger pump with good filter after the pump, the pump should have a screen in the inlet to prevent anything big enough to mess it up, and most pumps are made to push fuel through the filter, not suck it through, and you should be good. I also filter all the fuel that goes into the tank as a extra safety measure, those filtered paper paint funnels work pretty good, you can pick them up at your local paint supply store. If you go on product engineerings website, they have some very good plumbing diagrams as well as good info on what size jets to run in the returns and where to place them. I chose to make my own fuel block setup and so far it has worked well for me:

nastynova

#13 Post by nastynova » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:38 pm

Well I dropped a few bucks today, I went with the Aeromotive A2000 Pump, Aeromotive Filter and all new -10 fuel lines with new fittings. Hopefully all the money spent is not going to prove wasted, other than the pressure creeping up on the carb side of the reg. is there any other down side to not doing a bleeder line with a jet in it for the carb? If I keep adding all this briaded line line I'm gonna have to add Lexan to compensate for the extra weight!!!!!
How fast does that ole' Nova of yours go? I seen your runnin' a couple of stages too.

FARRIGNO

#14 Post by FARRIGNO » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 pm

hey ytnova, unless i misread your post, why would you need a return off the carb?i can see for nitrous, and you would run it off the fuel reg., but why would you need it for the motor side.usually 500-gpm pumps[bg, magnaflow] have a return off the pump that dumps in the fuel cell, or tank.at least thats how mines run, but i also don't spray my car.
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

nastynova

#15 Post by nastynova » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:54 pm

Well the Aeromotive Pump I got has an adjustable bypass -8 line to the cell that's why I was wondering about the return line from the carb. As far as the Nitrous side after the reg. I have a -4 line in a tee fitting just before the solenoid with an .020 jet in it to bleed off the pressure to keep it from creeping. I'm just hoping this pump is going to be enough, the tech guy at Aeromotive said it would be enough to feed the motor and a single stage kit up to around 250 to 300.