valves?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

jacobgiles

valves?

#1 Post by jacobgiles » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:46 pm

i have a bare set of dart iron eagle heads. i was looking at some valves on ebay and i found these valves by a company called Elgin. i looked on their website and they seem to make alot of internal engine parts. being the cheapskate that i am, i'm interested in them cause i can have a set to my door for less than 100 bucks. i am just wondering if these things are junk or if they are ok for a mild small block.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elgin-St ... dZViewItem

MOKANRACER

Elgin SS valves.

#2 Post by MOKANRACER » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 pm

Wow,a reasonable price for sure. A lot of dirt-circle racers use Elgin parts,in 700HP applications. I guess as far as catagory,I would put them in a claimer class. I personally would say they would be fine for a (MILD) perf engine application. Even MANLEY makes a budget valve,priced just slightly higher than those Elgin. Prob same quality for their (claimer) valves. If your going all out drag racing,and using a power adder,I would reccomend a known performance piece,which can run around $300 a set. At extreme RPM/HP ,I have seen valves pull apart right under the valve face. Any way,just my shot at your question.

jacobgiles

#3 Post by jacobgiles » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:28 am

thanks for the reply, i was thinking "claimer motor" too 8) im still curious though, this motor deosnt see anymore than 6200 rpm and a 200 setting on the spray.

MOKANRACER

Spray

#4 Post by MOKANRACER » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:18 am

jacobgiles wrote:thanks for the reply, i was thinking "claimer motor" too 8) im still curious though, this motor deosnt see anymore than 6200 rpm and a 200 setting on the spray.
That,s a lot of spray....for a claimer (mild) performance mtr. Have you used that combo yet on this mtr? Or is that just your future plans? I,m guessing this is a SBC ,and with that much spray,I wouldnt use those valves.You will be turning much more than 6200 rpm I would think. And the Torque will go Very High at spray time with a 200 shot. I would say you would be safe at a 125 shot. Any more than that,you will need to be pretty precise on your tune up. There are several Racers on this site that can be much more helpful to your concerns than I. I,m just speaking from my own short experience in using the Bottle. I have sprayed at a 150 shot,and put the mtr at 7500 thru the lights. And its built for N02. Ask for some of these Gurus on the brd for their take on your concerns. Good luck.

jacobgiles

#5 Post by jacobgiles » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:07 am

i ran the car last year, it has a smallblock, i sprayed it 125 and it did good. i shift at 6000. i switched to a cheater plate with the 200 setting (i dont know the size of the pills, my buddy set it all up) he flowed everything for me and i put a -5 chip in my retard box to start with. i havent been to the track with the new nitrous plate but i have made some passes with it and it works ok. the plugs look alright too. i havent seen any signs of detonation. i am still a little scared cause i know thats alot of spray on a motor with a stock rotating assembly.

jacobgiles

#6 Post by jacobgiles » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am

oh yea, i know what you mean about the rpm's shooting up really fast with the gas on.