Oil Temp?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

csvette3023

Oil Temp?

#1 Post by csvette3023 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:45 am

Does anyone have an engine oil temp gage in their race car that could tell me what is the highest temp they see after the run and after driving back to pit area (hot summer day) THX
Matt Beumer
70 B/S 402/375 Nova
N.H.R.A./I.H.R.A.

"STICK STOCKERS ARE WAY COOL!"

DOTracer

#2 Post by DOTracer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:48 am

Back when I used to have aluminum rods in a bbc, I'd try to stage with a minimum of 140-150 degrees oil temp. Now with steel rods, I don't worry so much about minimum oil temp, but do try to make the temp consistent.

Depending on stage temp would dictate return oil temp...typically between 170-180 degrees returning. I can't say I ever remember getting the oil warmer than 190 at the track.

Now on the street, I've had it go between 220-240 degrees, maybe 250 on a hot day in traffic.

julven

#3 Post by julven » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:06 pm

A guy we know that builds dirt sprint motors say to always have a min of 200 degres oil temp before tharshing on it .He sees alot of steel rods crumble from guys not heating things up before they go out for a feature.
He runs carrilo rods and that his what they said causes it also. So from that I would say that 200 is the min but i am only giving second hand knowledge.Jason

DOTracer

#4 Post by DOTracer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:17 pm

julven wrote:A guy we know that builds dirt sprint motors say to always have a min of 200 degres oil temp before tharshing on it .He sees alot of steel rods crumble from guys not heating things up before they go out for a feature.
He runs carrilo rods and that his what they said causes it also. So from that I would say that 200 is the min but i am only giving second hand knowledge.Jason
I don't dispute that info. But in a drag application, it's very tough to get the oil to anywhere close to 200 degrees (at least a N/A engine). Since having a mechanical gauge plumbed to a weld in fitting in the oil pan sump, I can tell you it takes quite some time to build heat in the oil. Just idling around the pits, it may take my car 10 to 15 minutes to get the oil to 150-160 degrees...also depends on the ambient temp, but I'd say it would be near impossible to get the oil to 200 degrees at the track...not sure if an electric heater element would add enough to get that warm.

Back when I watched the oil temp much more closely, I found myself having to idle the car ALOT in the staging lanes to have any oil temp before pulling in the burnout box.

julven

#5 Post by julven » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:30 pm

He does recomend a heater in your pan/tank for that reason no matter what the useage is.I do see what your saying(DOTRACER). I don't have a oil temp gauge and should. For I know I don't treat my engine right.Thanks Jason