e85 ?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Moparich

e85 ?

#1 Post by Moparich » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:29 am

seen some guys switch to e85 and have reall good commens on it. has anyone hear done this yet?

novaz

Re: e85 ?

#2 Post by novaz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:49 am

I am getting my Dominator changed over to run E85 by Mark Sullens you can find him on E85 performance and on drag reults

http://www.e85performance.net/forums/index.php

http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/80760912

drag chevette

#3 Post by drag chevette » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Roy,
thank you for the plug..(introduction)....lol

I just want to say that I am new to this forum, and I do not want to turn this page into an infomercial...however I will be here to answer any E85 question anyone may have or help them in any way.

here is a little introduction I pulled from our new web page ...

Here at Mark Sullens E85 carburetors we do things a bit different than the other guys.
We build E85 carburetors, E85 only.

Building our carburetors and conversions one at a time, giving each carburetor the attention it deserves.

When you work on one thing and one thing only you become very good at what you do.
Some say we are the “Custom E85 Carburetor Experts”, and with endorsements from people like Braswell Carburetion and BLP (Bo Laws Performance) we would tend to think that we are doing something right.

Between the quality parts, quick turn around times, excellent customer service, and the attention to your needs after the sale we are quickly becoming the place to come to for your E85 Carburetor or Conversion needs.

We do not use a Flow Bench or a Dyno, as we have yet to see a Flow Bench make a pass down the track, we feel these tune-ups will only get you close at best.

This is why we use what we know, our racers and our Innovate LM2*.

Mark Sullens personally uses E85 in his Drag Chevette, and he is constantly testing new calibrations and carburetors so that he can provide you with the best E85 carburetor out there.

Our carburetor builds come from years of personal and professional testing and YOU, our customers.

When we build your carburetor, we use build sheets that best matches your vehicle. These build sheets are based off of previous tests and customers’ car combinations that have been “track tested”. These files are used as a base line for your calibration and are sometimes tweaked to meet your specific needs to provide you the best product we can build.

I ask that our customers call us with positive updates and changes made to both the carburetor and the cars so that we can log the changes into their own personal and confidential file.
This will do two things, one- help us build better carburetors for future customers and two- give our customers a base tune-up to fall back on if for some reason they out think themselves and loose a working tune-up.

We have produced several winners’ carburetors, from back to back Super Chevy Show True Street wins to NHRA track championships, here at Mark Sullens E85 Carburetors We have what it takes to build you what you need.

I hope the moderators will allow me to share my knowledge with other posters and if they choose to buy from me, well then I hope thats ok too.....

I ask that all those interested in buying PM me. :D

those that want to talk tech.....post it on here so we all can learn! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BracketNova

#4 Post by BracketNova » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:12 pm

I am currently running E85. I had to go the cheapy route and just did metering blocks and a alky rebuild. I have not really seen any performance gains, but since I have not had my mainbody set up by an expert like Mark...I'm not going to down talk because in my opinion, I'm cheating.

What I can say is this, last weekend at the track my ride went 7.3529 at 2116 adj. altitude. The next night there was a run where the adj. altitude was 2160, my car ran 7.3538. That's only .0009 different! So, I find e85 to be more predictable even if you are "cheating" as I say.

My .02

Greg
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

555RAT

#5 Post by 555RAT » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:16 am

Hi Mark, I run a 555 with almost 13:1 and Sunoco 110. With the price of race fuel being so high I have been interested in E85 and was wondering if this is too much compression and if not have you seen gains to be had switching in this combo?
Thanks,
Keith
8.90@149 and 3,000lb, no Juice, no boost!

novaz

#6 Post by novaz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:26 am

This may help its also a good forum
I am sure Mark will get to your post
http://www.e85performance.net/forums/sh ... ompression

555RAT

#7 Post by 555RAT » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:43 am

Thanks Novaz, that is helpful but maybe I need to check availiability in OR first! Can one get it in a drum? Looks like E85 would be an excellent option.
Keith
8.90@149 and 3,000lb, no Juice, no boost!

drag chevette

#8 Post by drag chevette » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:19 pm

555RAT wrote:Hi Mark, I run a 555 with almost 13:1 and Sunoco 110. With the price of race fuel being so high I have been interested in E85 and was wondering if this is too much compression and if not have you seen gains to be had switching in this combo?
Thanks,
Keith
Kieth,
yes gains can be had by switching, I have customers that have reported as much as a .6 improvement over their gas carb.
the average for the carbs I build is around .2-.25 improvement....but even if it doesnt gain in ET your wallet will still thank you.

as for storing the fuel, "PLASTIC DRUM", the metal cans have a liner that in time brakes down and makes a snot like substance in the fuel....
I use plastic and cover it with a 6 ml black bag to keep the sunlight out....i also store mine on a wooden board or 2x4s up off the floor.

hope I can help you more in the future.
Mark

novaz

#9 Post by novaz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:13 pm

I emailed Rockett fuels about their E85 here is their response

We use high octane blending stocks for the 15% gasoline component in our E-85 blend. There is no standard for the gasoline component so pump E-85 blends could have any octane numbered blending stock or even finished gasoline products in there blends. I have attached a spec sheet for our E-85 blend from our website for your perusal.

Our Rockett Brand E-85 is a true racing blend in the fact that it doesn't have seasonal changes in its formulation as street fuels do. Our blend would be a very hard start in the colder parts of the nation as with all ethanol fuels cold vaporization is a problem.
I found a Mopar racer in Georgia using our E-85 blend in his 578", 14:1, normally aspirated Hemi using carbs. Blown applications will see a larger performance increase over racing gasoline powered engines then in normally aspirated applications due to the better latent heat of vaporization the ethanol provides. This added cooling removes the heat of compressibility introduced by the blower which isn't present in a normally aspirated application.
Lee > > Thanks Lee
> > > I have a magna fuel 500 pump good for 2000hp and -8+-10 fuel line with aerospace regulator returning to the cell
> > > also i noticed you rate your E85 slightly higher than pump E85 is there a reason for that > > > Thanks for your help > > > Roy
> > > -----Original Message-----
> From: Rockett Brand Racing Fuel <info@rockettbrand.com>