Intake leaking water

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Speedster

Intake leaking water

#1 Post by Speedster » Sat May 01, 2010 5:28 pm

I just finished putting new aluminum heads and new aluminum intake on my race car and when i added water it started to leak out intake water jacket on the right front.
Anyone have this happen? and what did you have to do to fix it?
I didnt want to have to pull the intake off and put a new set of intake gaskets on but if i have to i will.
And i used the white thread sealer on the four corner bolts that are in the water jackets.

want-a-be

Re: Intake leaking water

#2 Post by want-a-be » Sun May 02, 2010 7:22 am

I'm not quite sure where the water is leaking from your intake and new heads. But I'll take a crack at a spot where I've seen them leak.

What head manufacturer are you running? Which type are they? Where exactly is the water leaking from?

On the side that it is leaking. Take out the bolts that are on both sides of the intake water crossover for the thermostat housing. Take a peek into the bolt holes. Do the go into the water jacket, or is there any water in them? If so, then put just a dab of thread sealer on the bolts and try it again and see how that works out.

If you have to do 1 corner of the intake manifold bolts, both bolts, then you'll more then likely need to at least inspect all 4 corners for the same thing. If this is the problem then you shouldn't have to remove the intake.

Seen this a lot.

Don

Speedster

#3 Post by Speedster » Sun May 02, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks Don. yes it's where the water jacket goes to the thermo stat housing.
From what i was told at the track last night is you have to really silicone the crap out of the water jacket area and gasket's?
im use to cast heads this being the first time using aluminum heads.

CDR Performance

#4 Post by CDR Performance » Sun May 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Check the "China Rail" at the front and back of the block. Make sure the intake is not sitting on the rail and not allowing the intake to seat to the heads. If the intake the will not seat you may need to have the intake milled at the front and the back to fit.
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

http://www.cdrperformance.biz

Speedster

#5 Post by Speedster » Sun May 02, 2010 5:23 pm

I will check that. I got it back off today and everything cleaned up.
so if i sit it on there without gaskets it should not touch the block and should only rest upon the heads. never checked that.

CDR Performance

#6 Post by CDR Performance » Sun May 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Speedster wrote:I will check that. I got it back off today and everything cleaned up.
so if i sit it on there without gaskets it should not touch the block and should only rest upon the heads. never checked that.
With the gaskets on the heads and intake setting in place, there should be at the front and back of the block at the intake. If the intake is sitting on the China Rail and there is a gap from the intake too the heads there is a problem. Also if the head were decked that can cause issues. As well as angle milling....
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

want-a-be

#7 Post by want-a-be » Sun May 02, 2010 5:40 pm

yes,...

If you would like to ask a few questions, I'd be happy to PM my contact info to you. PM me if you're interested.

Don

sc racing

#8 Post by sc racing » Sun May 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Speedster wrote:
From what i was told at the track last night is you have to really silicone the crap out of the water jacket area and gasket's?.
Please DO NOT DO THIS!! Just get a good set of gaskets Felpro HP #1205 or 1206 depending on the size of the port or MRG ultraseals they all have a silicone "ring" around the ports and water jackets. I glue my gaskets to the head so they line up around the port and use silicone on the front and rear rails ONLY not on the gasket.CDR has a good point with the intake sitting on the rails check all that before bolting it down. Good Luck

Speedster

#9 Post by Speedster » Sun May 02, 2010 7:39 pm

I had a set of mr gasket 5821 ultra seals on there and i did not like the way they sit on there in the first place and i should have took them back and got the fel pro's but the guy at the speed shop said "these are the best" :nutkick:
yeah on my other stuff i have used the ultra blue for the front and rear seal and thru the rubber ends away and put a very thin smudge of sealer on the gaskets in the middle just to hold them in place.

The mr gasket gaskets did not sit right on the heads hitting the rail so we trimmed about a 1/4 inch off the bottom so everything lined up with the heads but i forgot to then check them against the intake and im sure thats where my problem came from?

want-a-be

#10 Post by want-a-be » Sun May 02, 2010 9:02 pm

I use a very light coat of silicone on both sides of the gasket and a thick enough bead on the end rails. I prefer the black, and usually don't like the ultra black. I have used the ultra with very good luck. But I just like how the regular black holds up.

offer still stands on the phone call. Won't cost you anything more then the call.

Don

Speedster

#11 Post by Speedster » Mon May 03, 2010 10:59 pm

fixed the leak today.
pulled the intake and replaced the gaskets with a set of fel pros.

CDR Performance

#12 Post by CDR Performance » Tue May 04, 2010 6:39 am

Speedster wrote:fixed the leak today.
pulled the intake and replaced the gaskets with a set of fel pros.

Good.
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

want-a-be

#13 Post by want-a-be » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Good deal, Glad everything worked out for you.

Don

Speedster

#14 Post by Speedster » Tue May 04, 2010 10:29 pm

:smt005 well you fix one thing and then it's another!
Ok so i got the intake fixed left it sit all night with water level full in radiator. I go out this morning look in the radiator and the water level is down about 4" :scratch: so i pull the dipstick and the oil level is over full. :shock:
So i think i bet the intake is leaking on the inside. So i drain the oil again and leave the oil plug out and refill the radiator and keep watching the level and the oil drain plug hole and nothing? :scratch: so i go eat lunch come back and nothing has changed so i put the plug back in fill it with oil and new filter. I start the car and let it warm up a bit then i notice a little steam coming out the breather on the left side. So i shut it off and pull the valve cover off and it's dripping water?
as i start looking at my new oil all milky again im thinking something bad is going on and then i see it!
Water bubbling up out of a head bolt! :pissed: so i grab the torque wrench and check to make sure it was torqued right and it was.
So i drain all the water again and pull the bolt out dry everything off clean the little bit of sealer that was on the bolt and reapply the sealer to the bolt. I put it all back together and im letting it sit over night and will put water back in and see if that takes care of it before i put oil back in again. :thumb:

want-a-be

#15 Post by want-a-be » Wed May 05, 2010 5:55 am

What kind of sealer did you use on the head bolts?

It's not all that uncommon for this to happen and is one of the reasons I will usually initially start the engine up with no water in it. Lets everything heat up and settle in a bit. It's only on for a few minutes. Usually enough to set timing and idle look for any thing stupid. Then let everything cool down before I hit it with the water.

Don