Bowtie Blocks

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

streak

Bowtie Blocks

#1 Post by streak » Sun May 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi guys new to the site and glad to be aboard. Is anyone running a Bowtie block haven't heard anything on this site about one and if so would like to ask about the .300 longer lifters. Got some more questions about the build but will wait on some replies about the block first. Thank's

CDR Performance

Re: Bowtie Blocks

#2 Post by CDR Performance » Mon May 31, 2010 5:59 am

What about them? There are ok.
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

http://www.cdrperformance.biz

streak

#3 Post by streak » Mon May 31, 2010 6:17 am

Well on the bowtie blocks the builder said we could machine down the bosses on the lifter valley and install regular height lifters because they would be ceaper in the furture to buy because the long ones are pricey but I'm not in favor of this.

CDR Performance

#4 Post by CDR Performance » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:59 am

streak wrote:Well on the bowtie blocks the builder said we could machine down the bosses on the lifter valley and install regular height lifters because they would be ceaper in the furture to buy because the long ones are pricey but I'm not in favor of this.
If you start cutting corners and trying to getting cheap parts.... When will it stop. The tall bores support the lifter and can handle offsets better. Some heads require the offset p/r holes. The only issues may occur if you are running a small base circle cam.
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

hsutton

#5 Post by hsutton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:52 am

Just get the more expensive lifters, G.M. and the aftermarket discovered that taller lifters help stabilize the valvetrain. Do not cut the block, if your machinist tries to talk you into this find another machinist.

sverbus

#6 Post by sverbus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Yes, I triple agree with the above suggestions...don't cheap out on the lifters! If even one comes apart it can be catastrophic for you engine. Not like if a rocker breaks or something....when that happens you can get lucky and just have it fall on it's face....a lifter will just scatter pieces all through your motor. If you are planning on running a big roller cam then invest in a set of Erson oil injected lifters with good rollers that can handle strip/street abuse.

just my thoughts..but certain things you shouldn't scrape on price.

Scott
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

streak

#7 Post by streak » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:58 pm

It was just something that some of the round track guys have done, we are NOT going to do that on my motor haven't went cheap or cut any corners so far and thank's for the advise. Has anyone had any experience with Dedenberg electric water pumps they are very short and I need the room.

CDR Performance

#8 Post by CDR Performance » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:34 pm

Some of the roundy round guys ain't just right. They will mill block, shave and trim parts to get off every 1/4 ounce of weight. Only to toss in a 430 LBS driver....
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

supernova

#9 Post by supernova » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:46 pm

CDR Performance wrote:430 LBS driver....
NOW THATS FUNNY!!!!!!!! :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Speedster

#10 Post by Speedster » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:36 pm

CDR Performance wrote:Some of the roundy round guys ain't just right. They will mill block, shave and trim parts to get off every 1/4 ounce of weight. Only to toss in a 430 LBS driver....
Hey,Hey! easy now on those roundy round round guys. eye R 1 of Dem 2 :nutkick: or was!

CDR Performance

#11 Post by CDR Performance » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:59 am

The roundy rounders aren't bad. And most invest a ton of hard work to race every weekend.
Most are really good guys.

Now the LSR guys... well....... "You drag racers don't know about having to run wide open for 3-5 miles!" Yawn........
Then I remind yes I build twin and single turbo drag motors today but, I used to build the motors a score offroad team and for the Rain X Press Offshore Boat in the '90's. We ran our boats at over 100+mph with twin BBC's at WOT for and HOUR OR MORE!
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop