What type of lifters do I have?? Solid or Hydro?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

69bigblok

What type of lifters do I have?? Solid or Hydro?

#1 Post by 69bigblok » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Hey guys. Wanted to see if you could help me confirm something. I pulled the valve covers today and my rockers have some play in them. I don't know the history or internals of my engine other than a 496 with iron heads. Have rollers rockers but that's all I can tell.

1. All my rockers appear to have some lash (when valve is closed) in them so I assume they must be solid lifers? (either that or all need to be tightened if hydraulic was my concern)

2. I pushed down down as hard as I could and couldn't get a lifter to compress so again I assume they must be solid?

3. If I adjust these as if they are solid then what valve lash should I use if I don't know the cam specs or even if the lifters are flat tappet or roller for that matter? Engine runs great, but I just want to keep it in top tune.

Here are some pics of one lifter looking through the head - don't know if you can tell my looking or not. Was hoping not to pull the intake to figure this out if possible.

Thanks in advance!

69 Camaro X66. 496BBC, TH350, 12 bolt w/4:56, 4 link, tubbed, stock front suspension.

roadrunner451

Re: What type of lifters do I have?? Solid or Hydro?

#2 Post by roadrunner451 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:39 pm

its sure not a hydro roller, or a solid roller ,how much vacuum at idle in gear,i would think you would have tons of vacuum if the lifters were hydralics and loose as you say not to mention REAL noisey ,so if the cars an automatic in gear you sure wont see as much vacuum with solid lifters ,,get a chance you need to check the lash , one cylinder at a time ..LASH THE INTAKE VALVE WHEN THE EXHAUST VALVE STARTS TO OPEN, ,, THEN LASH THE EXHAUST VALVE WHEN THE INTAKE VALVE GOES ALL THE WAY DOWN AND starts to come up, YOU WOULD WANNA STOP AT ABOUT 3/4 OF THE WAY UP JUST BEFORE THE TOP , now on what to set them at, i would check and see what they are set at, and as you said it runs good, , lash 1 side at a time , leave the valve cover on 1 side while you do the other, once done seal it up start the engine bring up to temp 190 degrees again and set the other side , i spent a few hours doing each side numerous times HOT,, 1 night just so i would know they were perfect come morning i took another lash adjustment COLD , for instance hot they were set at 0.20 int 0.22 exhaust,, cold they were 0.16 int and 0.18 exh, cold is cold to much variation in temps doing it hot , i always do mine cold, i checked them again hot now and then,, and right on the money$...im sure you probably have a solid flat tappet cam ,, let us know..
mike , 1970 road runner 451 cu in indy 440-1 cyl heads, solid roller cam,T&D rockers 11.12 at 120 mph on motor.

69bigblok

#3 Post by 69bigblok » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

Thanks for the feedback -that is very helpful.

Yes my vacuum is only like 11-13 when idling out of gear. Didn't check it in gear yet though.

I picked up some valve lash tools/feeler gauge so I will check what the average is set at now and go from there. Thanks for the sequence on adjusting them too.

One question, say I'm checking the lash on the intake valve of say cylinder #1, can I run over and check other cylinders too so that I don't have to keep turning the engine over one cylinder at a time? Didn't know if there was a rule of thumb that I could do certain cylinders at the same time.

Also do I need to pull the plugs when turning over the engine? I have a quick start button under my hood already so I can easily crank it with the starter and not by hand.

Thanks!
69 Camaro X66. 496BBC, TH350, 12 bolt w/4:56, 4 link, tubbed, stock front suspension.

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:21 am

You can check lash on any valve that is on the heel of cam but it will get confusing as to which ones you checked and which ones you didnt, I always do them 1 cyl at a time and just go down the line one side at a time. I wouldnt pull the plugs it will spin too easy. Just my .02

69bigblok

#5 Post by 69bigblok » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:37 am

10-4 thanks!

Mick

#6 Post by Mick » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:24 pm

mick here

if the lifters have a spring clip where the push rod seats ; they are hydrolics .
if they have a flat steel ring in there they are solids .