Plasma Ignition the Ultimate Ignition upgrade?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

fhansson

Re: Plasma Ignition the Ultimate Ignition upgrade?

#16 Post by fhansson » Wed May 04, 2011 10:54 pm

I have no reference to that but I have read it somewhere they where experimenting with a lot of fuel saving technology. I know plasma jet ignitions for aircraft and that might be something else.

The link you posted seems to be just another "snake oil" thing. I have not read it but to me it looks like normal plasma ignition. It's not violating the law of physics, it's just another way of distributing power. As you know, power is U * I. By combining a high voltage and low current spark that triggers a low voltage and high current spark you can use the same power to create a much bigger spark. A CDI is using a high voltage capacitor to enhance the regular spark and that is less efficient. Look at the pictures, a "crocodile" is attached to the plug tip which is adding a low voltage current. Once the high voltage spark is trigged, BANG, the current will flow in the same path thru the air.

The reason I say "snake oil" is because it's not working, at least not on new cars. The examples shows an old Volkswagen "Beetle" that is probably already warned out and inefficient.

norwalk22

#17 Post by norwalk22 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:10 pm

I broke down and bought that Ignition Secrets package. That alligator clip in the pic is simply a ground connection for a bench test.

I see how he is getting those monster plasma blasts for the same power as a CDI. Actually, this ignition method IS the same as a plasma jet ignition but he figured out how to do the same thing with way less power - without a secondary power supply for the high current source. It is all perfectly legit, AMAZINGLY! I ordered a few parts and will report my results later. I'll first test this on my workbench just to see if it happens as easy as claimed.

fhansson

#18 Post by fhansson » Wed May 11, 2011 1:56 pm

That sounds very interesting, let us know the results!