WHAT type of engine is better for Drag Racing OHV or OHC

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

MXrider13

WHAT type of engine is better for Drag Racing OHV or OHC

#1 Post by MXrider13 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

Ok I am only 19 and I have followed drag racing for the past few years but only know actually have the money to race. I was talking to an older guy (in his 40's) at a gas station who was showing off his 03 Mustang. I went over started talking to him asking him about the car. He had the 4.6L supercharged, he had about 320HP and ran in the low 12s. I asked him what he was going for, he said 550Hp to mach his new 2011 GT350. I wanted to run in the 9's. I asked why he wasn't using an 80's 5.0 with the 302 as the drag car or an older Mustang with the 351. He told me its because OHV suck, and the OHCs are way more efficient drag racing. He said they make torque and HP easily and cheaper. I told him I thought OHV make HP and torque and HP cheaper. He said I was wrong he said his new GT350 runs in the low 11s while getting 23MPG and have AC something old muscle could never do with an OHV.

Which is better for Drag Racing OHV engines or OHC?

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: WHAT type of engine is better for Drag Racing OHV or OHC

#2 Post by John_Heard » Fri May 20, 2011 8:47 am

That's really up to you on what YOU want to mess with, but if you look at Pro Mod, Pro Stock, etc. almost everything is traditional OHV.

Getting started like you're doing, affordability, easy to work on and find parts are a big benefit. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about messing with a OHC engine. Not much is cheaper to build per hp than a good old small block chevy, or a Small block ford if that's your thing.

MXrider13

Re: WHAT type of engine is better for Drag Racing OHV or OHC

#3 Post by MXrider13 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:09 am

John_Heard wrote:That's really up to you on what YOU want to mess with, but if you look at Pro Mod, Pro Stock, etc. almost everything is traditional OHV.

Getting started like you're doing, affordability, easy to work on and find parts are a big benefit. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about messing with a OHC engine. Not much is cheaper to build per hp than a good old small block chevy, or a Small block ford if that's your thing.
SBC is my things alright so I knew I was sort of right