Electric water pump vs thermostat

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Mike Peters

Re: Electric water pump vs thermostat

#16 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:02 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:Ok Mikey, how many times do I have to tell you, the cup does not go on your head, the helmet belongs up there :roll:
but I still love you like a brother and mom is really concerned with you and the crouch grabbing thing :smt005

Ok, other then Prestone, has anyone had good success with "any" other water additive?

I've been told to use Red Line water wetter but I know someone that uses a similar product by Royal Purple.
Use the Water Wetter PuckHead (I say that in a brotherly way) for corrosion protection if you've already got it. If Stewart Components is correct about ANY of the softening agents not offering additional cooling capacity, I just didn't want you to waste your tu-tu budget on something you didn't need and wasn't going to help. You got something against Prestone? Did someone spill a Prestone product on the ice during one of your figure skating practicies?
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Bruce69Camaro

#17 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:17 am

Mr. Peters,

please tell me, what do you run in your Chevelle ;)
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Mike Peters

#18 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:20 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:Mr. Peters,

please tell me, what do you run in your Chevelle ;)
Right now I'm using air but, surprisingly, it hasn't over heated yet. :scratch:

Bruce69Camaro

#19 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:45 am

I didn't know Prestone sold air?

Did Stewart Components recommend that?

Must be some good stuff :thumb:

Have a nice day buddy......it's good seeing you back here.

I miss the hockey/figure skating/ tu tu bashing.

Right now it's all straight water and I need to get a rust inhibitor in the system but I keep seeing that some of these
additives can drop your system temp down as much as 20F, so that was one of my reason's for enquiry.
Does Prestone state anything like this or is it just a rust inhibitor?
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Mike Peters

#20 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:41 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote: Right now it's all straight water and I need to get a rust inhibitor in the system but I keep seeing that some of these
additives can drop your system temp down as much as 20F, so that was one of my reason's for enquiry.
Does Prestone state anything like this or is it just a rust inhibitor?
You've actually seen these "water softeners" drop running temps 20 degrees or are you reading their ads? I've read many posts from racers who have added Redline, RP, etc.... and saw no difference. Do a back-to-back comparison and let us know what you find. Run straight water first and then add the Water Wetter and let us know what you find.

chpcamaro

#21 Post by chpcamaro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:32 am

my take on this is use water soluble oil like they use with cnc machines for cooling the metal when cutting it is the same thing that prestone is selling just no water added plus it is cheaper lol. a gallon will cost you like 10.00 and the little yellow bottle that has been pre watered down will cost you 8.00 it is a no brainer
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

Craig W.

#22 Post by Craig W. » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:34 pm

If you run machine coolant, stay away from full synthetics. They can be very hard on seals and gaskets. Semi-synthetics usually aren't a problem. Soluble oils are a little more expensive but it won't take much at all to treat a system as small as a car's cooling system. 5-10% is the typical concentration for most coolants. The downside to soluble oils is they will go sour with bacteria after a while, especially if they sit uncirculated for long periods. This may not be a problem on a sealed system that doesn't have contaminants such as way oil and dirty metal chips.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

chpcamaro

#23 Post by chpcamaro » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:22 am

yea craig it is the non syn. oil the version i have been running sat in one of my cars for 3 years not running because i forgot to drain the motor after it broke and when i pulled it apart there was no rust no growth of any kind and the alminum radaitor and pump looked brand new i crapped when i realized i didn't drain it but zero problem i have been using it in my cars sense 1985 so far so good :thumb:
thanks for the heads up on the syn. stuff tho
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

John_Heard
Site Admin

#24 Post by John_Heard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:54 am

Craig W. wrote:If you run machine coolant, stay away from full synthetics. They can be very hard on seals and gaskets. Semi-synthetics usually aren't a problem. Soluble oils are a little more expensive but it won't take much at all to treat a system as small as a car's cooling system. 5-10% is the typical concentration for most coolants. The downside to soluble oils is they will go sour with bacteria after a while, especially if they sit uncirculated for long periods. This may not be a problem on a sealed system that doesn't have contaminants such as way oil and dirty metal chips.
Oh yeah, talk about stink. Go into a machine shop running that stuff that has been setting over like a Christmas Holiday!!!

wheels

#25 Post by wheels » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:17 pm

wikd69 wrote:
Craig W. wrote:Anyone heard of using windshield washer fluid in the cooling system? A guy asked me today if I had heard of that. Some derby car guys are trying it around here but I don't know any results. I think they are mistaking evaporative cooling for something useful in a closed loop system that has no phase change under normal conditions.
Check this site out. Waterless cooling system. Interesting but something about it bothers me, not sure what...

http://www.evanscooling.com/
Been using Evans for years, no problems...The only thing is it's pricey. I kept the empty bottles and keep the fluid in them when I drain the rad.

wikd69

#26 Post by wikd69 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:55 pm

wheels wrote:
wikd69 wrote:
Craig W. wrote:Anyone heard of using windshield washer fluid in the cooling system? A guy asked me today if I had heard of that. Some derby car guys are trying it around here but I don't know any results. I think they are mistaking evaporative cooling for something useful in a closed loop system that has no phase change under normal conditions.
Check this site out. Waterless cooling system. Interesting but something about it bothers me, not sure what...

http://www.evanscooling.com/
Been using Evans for years, no problems...The only thing is it's pricey. I kept the empty bottles and keep the fluid in them when I drain the rad.
So what temps do you run your cooling system at ?
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

wheels

#27 Post by wheels » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 am

I run between 180 and 220 (when I forget to turn the fan on). I recently installed a thermostat to control the heat in the colder months, but that was when I had a mechanical fan. Now that I have an electric fan I have not run without the thermostat to see how it behaves. This Evans stuff leaves no residue in the rad (I have had it in the system for about 13yrs now) and no matter how hot it runs doesn't carry on. Underhood temp is the only enemy.

wikd69

#28 Post by wikd69 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:03 pm

wheels wrote:I run between 180 and 220 (when I forget to turn the fan on). I recently installed a thermostat to control the heat in the colder months, but that was when I had a mechanical fan. Now that I have an electric fan I have not run without the thermostat to see how it behaves. This Evans stuff leaves no residue in the rad (I have had it in the system for about 13yrs now) and no matter how hot it runs doesn't carry on. Underhood temp is the only enemy.
I'm betting that most big tracks won't allow you to run with that stuff tho - I'd be just like antifreeze on the track...
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

Bruce69Camaro

#29 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:17 pm

Actually Evans makes two type of racing coolant, NPG and NPG-R.

NPG is recommended for racing engines that run on tracks where there is a "NO Ethylene Glycol" rule and from what it says it's a lifetime coolant.

This is what I don't understand, NPG-R is also for racing, and it's recommended that you replace it at the end of each racing season.

Why wouldn't you just run the NPG type and be done with it?