?installing buckets in bench seat car

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

bottlesempty

?installing buckets in bench seat car

#1 Post by bottlesempty » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:22 pm

my project is a1980 bench seat malibu Id like to install buckets seat sin an effort to shed weight is anyone aware of NHRArules regarding attatching seats through floor board f do Ifirst need to weld in 4x4 plate to floor board so in event of collision seat wont tear out floor and pin ball me across cage

Bruce69Camaro

Re: ?installing buckets in bench seat car

#2 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:17 am

I used welded nuts, drilled the proper size hole in the floorboard, and welded around the nuts and then bolted my seat brackets to them.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

bottlesempty

#3 Post by bottlesempty » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:31 pm

wasnt sure if plates were neccessary for tech more importantly wanna be safe as possible what do I need pass tech any suggestions trying to lose few pounds not sure of rules

Bruce69Camaro

#4 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:08 pm

For the weld nuts I used a fiberglass seat and the mounts for that. I put the seat and brackets together, sat them in my car and once I was happy with the leg room, I marked where the holes in the brackets were at and then drilled the floor out and welded in the nuts.

I take you have a roll bar, so your going to want to put a seat, back brace on the main hoop bar.

Some use an adjustable one and seeing I'm the only driver of my car, mine is just a simple "T" (1" piece of moly and a 2" x 4" x 1/8" plate). This is welded onto the main hoop bar and the back of the seat is bolted to that. Very simple brace.

One other thing, make sure when you put your seat in, your head/ helmet is not higher then the top of the main hoop.

At the same time, if you don't already or you have another method of securing your belts in, now is the time to put in the seat belt tabs.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch: