Oil Pan Leaking

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Ls7camaro

Oil Pan Leaking

#1 Post by Ls7camaro » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Guys, I have a problem, this motor really does seem to be jinxed. The problem now is the oil pan is leaking right in the very front under the harmonic balancer, where the timing chain cover meets the oil pan, I used a fel pro 1 piece gasket, and no matter what I seem to do it the front leaks, I had the oil pan out, cleaned it with laquer thinner and then put it all back together, I used the blue clips and made sure the surface was cleaned up really well, then torqued it down, and it leaked, I thought it was the timing chain cover, so I put a summit racing aluminum timing chain cover, and cleaned it again, torqued it and it still leaks.

From the start of this motor, its been a nightmare. Any and All Suggestions are being considered.

Thanks Guys.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.

BracketNova

Re: Oil Pan Leaking

#2 Post by BracketNova » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:12 pm

I had nothing but trouble with the one piece myself. I was also trying to use it on a cheap chrome pan too. Now I have a Moroso pan and I use the normal 4 piece sets, cork even, and they never leak :)
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:31 pm

I only use the end seals. No rail gaskets. I seal the pan up with The Right Stuff. I coat the top and bottom of the end seals as well, with a little extra at the ends of the seals. Works great.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:19 pm

How long do you let yours setup before assembly with that right stuff on there? Any problems getting the pan off? I've used the right stuff on my china rails before and it worked great but a bit gun shy using it on an aluminum pan.

Craig W.

#5 Post by Craig W. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:42 pm

I let it skin over. Maybe 5 min.

No problems getting the pan back off. Its stuck good but it'll come loose with a screw driver through the front end seal.

I like that I can torque the pan bolts down good and tight and not worry about squeezing out the gasket or deforming the pan rail.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

wikd69

#6 Post by wikd69 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:22 am

I use the FelPro Blue 1-piece pan gasket and a CompCams timing cover assembly - and I use silicone in the corners where everything joins... I kept blowing out the pan gasket on the sides (blow-by under boost) until I adopted the FelPro 1-piece...
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

supernova

#7 Post by supernova » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:09 am

I hate oil leaks!!!!!

I use a 1-peace and seal the corners with some sealer called Mega Gray. You can get it at any autopart store. It seals well and isn't to hard to get off. I also run a vac pump on the motor.....
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

mytmouz

#8 Post by mytmouz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:18 am

supernova wrote:I hate oil leaks!!!!!

I use a 1-peace and seal the corners with some sealer called Mega Gray. You can get it at any autopart store. It seals well and isn't to hard to get off. I also run a vac pump on the motor.....
Same here, except I use the 'right stuff' in the corners...
Trucks are for haulin...

Ls7camaro

#9 Post by Ls7camaro » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks guys.

I talked to a friend of mine that runs a garage (non performance), and he told me he loved the 1 piece felpro gaskets. The problem that he had, was he torqued everything to spec and said he had the leaks in the front and rear (I am only leaking out the front on the oil pan under the timing chain cover), he told me you can torque the small bolts, but the ends to just snug them, maybe a 100 inch lbs, said anytime he torqued to the 200 inch lbs that he got the leaks, he also uses the right stuff on the corners.

On a side note, does anyone believe a motor can be jinxed? This is the same motor with the lash cap issue (turned out to be a tight piston to valve clearance) the guy that built the motor is known for doing great work, just seemed to slip up on this one I guess.

New plan is to pull the motor in the spring, clean the engine bay, put the engine on the stand, and go over everything with a fine tooth comb, and put it all back together.

Thanks for all your help. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.