max cam lift on vortec heads.

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

corvettekiller666

max cam lift on vortec heads.

#1 Post by corvettekiller666 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:17 am

First question
Has anybody used lunati products? I know everybody and their brother uses COMP cams but i was wondering about lunati just as a second option.
Second question
Would .468/.489 lift be too much on stock vortec valves? im not really wanting a big power monster V8,im just wanting to get enough torque for my truck and its my daily driver. im currently rebuilding an old 350 i got from a guy and this is the first time im going to be able to keep and enjoy an engine that i rebuilt. also my first chev small block rebuild.

sc racing

Re: max cam lift on vortec heads.

#2 Post by sc racing » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:14 am

Do you mean stock SPRINGS or VALVES I would say get the right springs to go with the cam I wouldnt think the valves would have an issue. If the you feel the length is a problem I did a set of Vortec heads wit stock length valves ( stainless aftermarkrt) and .540 lift

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Factory stock Vortecs have serious lift limitations but you can fix it with a few simple changes. Springs, valve locks and seals all need to be changed and then you can run .470-.480" lift. The stock rockers don't have long slots either, so be sure they don't hit the studs at full lift.

Get springs that'll handle the lift, go with +.050" locks and change the tall seals out for umbrella seals. Some full roller, self-aligning rockers would be a good addition too.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:38 pm

I forgot to mention the guides were also cut down you need to check that also.

corvettekiller666

#5 Post by corvettekiller666 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:12 pm

so im going to need new springs to run the cam i want? is there anything i would want to stay away from as far as different styles of springs if there is such a thing? 1.5:1 self aligning aluminum roller rockers and push rods are sitting in the box in my garage waiting for the rest of the rest of the top end.im going to leave the bottom end stock mainly because its expensive and i dont have the money but i dont think im going to be putting that much extra strain on it anyway so its going to keep its factory cast crank from '73. probably wouldnt be a bad idea to wait an extra couple of months and just get a new bottom end but the engine in my truck is almost shot and i need it soon.

sc racing

#6 Post by sc racing » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:56 am

Its always best to get the "matching" springs with the cam they are designed for it, as far as putting strain on the lower end your actually going to do so by raising compression with the Vortec heads, depending on the condition of the rings this could be ok but it may end up causing issues very soon. If this is an old high milage engine you may want ot at least pull it apart and inspect it unless it was in great running condition before you decided to change heads.

corvettekiller666

#7 Post by corvettekiller666 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:32 pm

The vehicle it came from didn't even have 100k miles on it and it was in their family since 1973. I planned on changing the rings out . So if I get a comp cam it would be a very good idea to get matching springs ?

Carolina Kid

#8 Post by Carolina Kid » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:28 pm

corvettekiller666 wrote: So if I get a comp cam it would be a very good idea to get matching springs ?
Yes