Carb Flooding/Squirter Size

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

MMAX

Carb Flooding/Squirter Size

#1 Post by MMAX » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:46 am

I have a custom 1204 XE Dominator built by Pro Systems for my 582 and have had this carb for 3 years. I don't race all that often, just a couple of times a season but I have a severe flooding issue. Coming out of the burnout box, I have to keep one foot on the gas revving the engine while braking with the other foot. A sudden stop will flood and kill the engine. I reset my float levels yesterday, the primary was off quite a bit, but my question is on squirter size. I know Patrick knows his shit and the carb seemed to work out of the box but I have 45s front and back on this thing. It's like flushing a toilet. I e-mailed Patrick about this and he wanted me to send the whole unit in. Would anyone recommend dropping down on size? I have one last race on Sunday and would like it to go off without a hitch.
PS: A friend of mine with an 1100HP 632 runs 25s on his primary

Craig W.

Re: Carb Flooding/Squirter Size

#2 Post by Craig W. » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Sure sounds like fuel sloshing out of the bowl vents. Do you have room to put some pieces of fuel hose on each vent to extend them up? Some people connect the bowl vents with hose that is vented at the top of the curve. Just be sure the bowls can breathe. If they can't it'll effect how it runs down track.

45s are pretty dang big but unless you're pumping the gas, I don't see how they'd flood the engine. 25s are tiny. Weird they'd be on your friend's carb.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

MMAX

#3 Post by MMAX » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Craig W. wrote:Sure sounds like fuel sloshing out of the bowl vents. Do you have room to put some pieces of fuel hose on each vent to extend them up? Some people connect the bowl vents with hose that is vented at the top of the curve. Just be sure the bowls can breathe. If they can't it'll effect how it runs down track.

45s are pretty dang big but unless you're pumping the gas, I don't see how they'd flood the engine. 25s are tiny. Weird they'd be on your friend's carb.

Sorry, typo...didn't pick upon it till now. 35s

jmarkaudio

#4 Post by jmarkaudio » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 am

Try replacing the N&S's. Over time the o-rings go bad, and don't seal well. Also check the floats, nitrophyl floats can go bad and soak up fuel. I would absolutely try .035 squirters as well, the calibration on that carb is already too rich at lower RPM's.
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

MMAX

#5 Post by MMAX » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:31 pm

jmarkaudio wrote:Try replacing the N&S's. Over time the o-rings go bad, and don't seal well. Also check the floats, nitrophyl floats can go bad and soak up fuel. I would absolutely try .035 squirters as well, the calibration on that carb is already too rich at lower RPM's.
That's one of the things Patrick mentioned when he wanted me to send him my carb. A total overhaul for about $200. As for today, no flooding problems after resetting the floats.