Question regarding belt drives

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

wikd69

Question regarding belt drives

#1 Post by wikd69 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:53 am

I'm considering adding a Jesel belt drive to the mix.

What good or bad experiences have you had with these, and on what build and using what block ?

I'm concerned what mods are required to use this on my stock Mark IV 454 block and what issues I might have with clearance using a short mechanical water pump. I have a crank trigger setup and I don't run a balancer, so I don't expect to have any problems in that respect, but what other things should I consider before dropping $1K on new parts ?
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding belt drives

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:32 pm

I've got a Jesel on mine, it's a high quality part. I was also impressed with the instructions and that they even included a special socket that was needed. Never seen one on a car with a mechanical water pump? They clear electric pumps just fine.

Is it worth any power? That I think might be hard to say, but I'm pretty sure your not going to get anywhere near $1000 worth of power over a chain.

wikd69

Re: Question regarding belt drives

#3 Post by wikd69 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 pm

John_Heard wrote:I've got a Jesel on mine, it's a high quality part. I was also impressed with the instructions and that they even included a special socket that was needed. Never seen one on a car with a mechanical water pump? They clear electric pumps just fine.

Is it worth any power? That I think might be hard to say, but I'm pretty sure your not going to get anywhere near $1000 worth of power over a chain.
Thanks for the reply John.

Yeah, I'm looking more for ease of adjustment than power gains. I talked to Rob about it this weekend and he shipped me up some pix of his motor and belt drive setup. From everything I'm learning the belt system looks way too wide to fit behind my short mechanical water pump.

Thats ok though, I did find a more reasonable alternative which I think will do what I need:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-8110

This solution is not as slick or accessible as the Jesel stuff but it's $800 cheaper. With this Comp Cams setup all I need do is pull the water pump and top plate on my 3-piece timing cover to get in to tweak my cam timing. I've been running a Cloyes set with a gzillion key slots on the crank gear but it requires my pulling the crank hub and everything else to get to it. Good idea for static builds, but I want to be able to play with the tune a bit more.

I'm gonna get my new parts order in this next week and will get back out to the shop shortly after that. The ride has been up on stands for almost a year while I took care of family stuff and other bills. It's *waaaaay* past time I made noise with this booger. LOL - every time something with a loud and lumpy motor rumbles by outside I get all twitchy...
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm