New stuff...

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

wikd69

Re: New stuff...

#31 Post by wikd69 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:53 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:That turned out great Harry :thumb:

Doesn't it give you a good feeling when you throw one of those switches and things actually work?????

Now If they only made a switch for the driver, then I'd be ok.....LOL
:smt003 :smt003
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

wikd69

#32 Post by wikd69 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:41 pm

Ok, so I changed things a bit for the relay board. I originally planned to mount it horizontally under the dash but I could'nt come up with a clean way to map everything out. So yesterday, I got the the cardboard / scissors / felt-tip pen back out and mocked up a new design that mounts vertically on the passenger side lower kick panel. I went back into my pc and produced a new graphics template, mapped everything out, and ended up with a pretty good result I think.

I still have to fabricate the mounts for the new board but that's a couple of hours work. I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. :smt003

Here is the template I came up with. The board is 12" x 15", thereabouts. This is all printed out to scale on the laser printer and is what I used to center punch the new board :)

Here is the new panel with new hardware on it. I have to wire it but that will be pretty straightforward.

And here the panel is sitting in place. I still have yet to fab the mounts in place, but this will work out well.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#33 Post by John_Heard » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:28 pm

That all look great, but I've got a feeling you're going to wish you had spaced things further apart. That wiring takes up a lot of room. I made mine too tight as well, next time around I'll space stuff out further.

wikd69

#34 Post by wikd69 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:22 pm

John_Heard wrote:That all look great, but I've got a feeling you're going to wish you had spaced things further apart. That wiring takes up a lot of room. I made mine too tight as well, next time around I'll space stuff out further.
Thanks for the comment John. Hopefully I guessed correctly. I tried to lay stuff out so that I would need a minimum of wiring runs, with individual drops directly from one component to another. A lot of it is 18 gauge (relay control circuits) and 22 gauge (switch panel lights). A number of the relays on the bottom are relay interlocks (22 gauge) for other relays and won't use the heavier wire. The crunch will be power out of the main (middle) relays to the fuse block. Most will be 12 gauge going out, with a couple of 10 gauge. We'll see how well that stuff lays down :)

I had also added extra breakers and relays to the mix and if needed I can thin things out a bit. You know how it is - you want to allow for stuff in the future.

And, worse case, I can revamp the whole thing pretty easily. I use software to do the design and layout - I'm able to print stuff out to scale and it makes layout pretty quick.

Bruce69Camaro

#35 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:39 am

That looks really good Harry :thumb: :thumb:

I used to mount my panel, three brackets, two welded to my forward bar and one to the pillar post bar and then used cushion mounts.

Soon time to make some noise buddy!
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#36 Post by John_Heard » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:34 am

Mockup a 12ga wire like you're going to use with a connector on it and heat shrink on the different items and see what the radius is, most likely loops are going to be overlapping. The bend radius is bigger than expected at least in my case, but I ran out of places to put shit.