Urgent: Need Advice On 454 BBC Headers For 71 Nova

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

71Nova454

Urgent: Need Advice On 454 BBC Headers For 71 Nova

#1 Post by 71Nova454 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:32 pm

Hey Folks,

New guy to the forum here. I'm posting this for my dad. He just bought a 71 Nova with a 1970 454 Big Block Chevy motor in it. The car needs new headers and he's not sure what size tube to go with as well as brand/model.

He's not sure what headers are on it and isn't sure what the previous owner installed.

The 454 has been bored over something like 50thou and is a streetable motor running at 9.5:1 compression. It has a 750 Holly with a mild cam. The car is running true dual exhaust through Flowmaster Mufflers. A local mechanic that does a lot of work on high performance engines told him the car was probably putting out an estimated 450-470HP.

The car has a 4 speed transmission with a 3.73 rear-end.

The car also has power steering.

There's not much room to work with. He said the headers that are on there now only clear the power steering box by about 1/4".

He's wanting to get some reasonably priced headers that won't affect the power he's getting from the motor and the overall performance of the car.

So knowing all of that he asked me to find out...

1. What size header tubes would you recommend?

2. What's the best choice for Max. HP considering the clearance issue.

3. What brand/model would you recommend?

I guess the mechanic my dad took the car to said he's had some problems installing Hooker Headers in some of his rigs. Reading some of the posts in this forum, I see that a lot of people seem to have problems getting the right fit.

My dad's wanting an easy install and doesn't want to sacrifice any power. That's not too much to ask right?

He's been reading that perhaps sticking with the smaller 1 3/4" tube size might be better than the 2"+ sizes....Any feedback on that also?

Hope to get some responses from ya'll...The sooner the better...The car has an exhaust leak now that you can smell pretty bad while driving the car so he's looking to get the new headers installed ASAP.

Thanks for you time,

Michael

For My Dad, Terry

shooked

#2 Post by shooked » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:11 am

Been here done this, I have finally settled for Lemons for my 496 in my olds, but a 1 months build time is horrible, have looked at Stahls, which are nice, and a quick 10 day build time. There is nothing wrong with any large diameter header. As far as primary size, I would consult either one of the above companies, give them the specs and let them decide for you, then adapt any brand you want based on that info.
Jody Shook
I would be more apathetic if I were not so lethargic

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:45 pm

Lemon's makes very nice headers but, they are not cheap and not really oriented for your Dad's 454. I have never ran anything that needed the smaller tubes in my car so I can't really give a good recomendation for which of the more mainstream brands fits best on the Nova. I would guess Hooker Super Comps?

Kick back a few days, there are a number of big block Nova guys on here and someone with a good recommendation will probably post soon.

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:58 pm

Ive sold a lot of Hooker competition headers for BBC Nova's and Camaro's I havent seen any fittment problems if the correct motor mounts are used. If I remember they are 2" with a3-1/2" collector pn#2457 or 2457-1 for coated.

71Nova454

#5 Post by 71Nova454 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:03 am

Thanks fellas...I think he's looking to stay under 1 7/8" and since he's working with a mechanic on this he doesn't want to piss him off...Good mechanics are hard to come by in a small town of 4000 :) As of right now he's leaning towards Flow-Techs...

bbc68nova

#6 Post by bbc68nova » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:56 am

i have hooker super comp headers on my bbc nova
the headers will fit nice the only place you will have a problem is the tube right next to power steering box
but that is a easy fix(* you can do this after you install them)
take a touch with a small tip heat that spot up untill its red
and take a pry bar and give it a good push
luke

ytnova

#7 Post by ytnova » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:16 am

I ponied up and bought lemmons for mine, but as beyond said, they are overkill for your combo. Previously, I used the large tube hooker comps and I had to modify a few tubes. From what I have heard the hooker super comps fit better.

sc racing

#8 Post by sc racing » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:02 pm

My brothers 71' has the hooker comps they fit like a glove, same basic motor as you a little bigger carb and Merlin heads but still a street motor .It runs very good with the combo he has. 2" I dont think is too big

71Nova454

#9 Post by 71Nova454 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:30 am

Thanks again guys...I guess he's found a header shop up in Eugene Oregon and headers and performance exhaust is all that they do. I think he's going to take it up there and let them fool with it. I guess they've got like 200 different styles of headers.

Dad started having second thoughts about having someone work on his car that has a tendency of blowing their tops! Can't say I don't blame him. He also found out today that the ones that are on there are Hedman Headers...Not sure about the tube size though.

shooked

#10 Post by shooked » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:31 pm

Update on Lemon's headers, when I ordered mine they said being I have nothing exotic, they would crank them out in 2 weeks flat, no additional charge. How nice is that. Looks like I will be hitting the track this year afterall. Thanks Dragstuff!
Last edited by shooked on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#11 Post by John_Heard » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:28 pm

Next time you talk to Dan tell him to get off his butt and finish my headers. Don't ever tell those guys you don't need them right away!

shooked

#12 Post by shooked » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:31 pm

Beyond wrote:Next time you talk to Dan tell him to get off his butt and finish my headers. Don't ever tell those guys you don't need them right away!
How long you been waiting and how exotic did you go. Mine were plain jane 2 1/8 stepped to 2 1/4 with no flanges for exhaust, they are getting a nice collector muffler, perhaps lemons ($510 pair).

John_Heard
Site Admin

#13 Post by John_Heard » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:09 pm

Mine were just in for some tube repairs, they are my old set that were set up for a stock steering box. Been there since May? sometime around then. I'm getting them fixed before I sell them.

julven

#14 Post by julven » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:50 pm

I will be ordering a set of headers over the winter from Lemon's. Is there any of the options that you guys wish you would of had or hadn't done.Anything I should be thinking about.Thanks Jason

we kool

#15 Post by we kool » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:20 pm

I have Hooker super comps on my 70 nova and they work good these guys who can afford lemon headers have to much money to spent (wish I could afford lemon headers )but now I see in national dragster Ed Quay is advertising custom built headers for around 500 a set Not creamic coated good luck with your dads nova