351 cleveland experience

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

sixty_foot

351 cleveland experience

#1 Post by sixty_foot » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:18 pm

has anybody got any input on using the restrictor plates on the 4 bbl cleveland heads to improve air flow. i see that they have plates available for the intake side, and the exhaust side. this is for use on a mid 12 car that is driven on the street. :?: :?:

Re: 351 cleveland experience

#2 Post by Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:12 pm

sixty_foot wrote:has anybody got any input on using the restrictor plates on the 4 bbl cleveland heads to improve air flow. i see that they have plates available for the intake side, and the exhaust side. this is for use on a mid 12 car that is driven on the street. :?: :?:
in australia we can buy s/s plates for the exhaust, which close the large 4v opng and lift the exhaust flow and gives the 4v a better bottom end power.
the intake are also available which are a aluminium tongue that has to be screwed into position cost in australia $70.00 complete.

john t

cleveland port stuffers

#3 Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:30 pm

i had some experience with the steel plates, but the results were mixed, at best. what i found to be really worthwile are the cast aluminum pieces that are epoxied and screwed in place. made by terry parker in Au. picked up a bunch of velocity in the port, as well as sharpened throttle response. my street-driven BOSS302 in a 4 speed 68 fastback runs 7.20 at 95.5 mph in the 1/8 mile on hoosier quick time pros and caltrac bars on 93 octane. i have pics and flow sheets if youre interested...and you can have my old steel plates if you decide not to go that route...theyre just hanging on the wall collecting dust. hope that helps Duke

sixty_foot

very intrested !!

#4 Post by sixty_foot » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:25 am

guest...
sorry, but i have no way to directly reply to you, but i am very intrested in what you have done with your heads. the inserts have always been of intrest due to the limited header/frame clearance issues. please get back to me !!
speed..... is how fast you hit the wall,
.....torque...... is how hard you bounce off

fasteach

cleveland port stuffers

#5 Post by fasteach » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:32 pm

well if this doesnt show my name again, my login is fasteach. i have some photos of my last "re-block" on 351cleveland.net, in the photo section on pg. 5...duke boele's engine pix. what i found, is that velocity jumped up like 20%, and flow stayed constant...a good thing to be sure when dealing with a 22cc reduction in area. however, i also use a raised runner intake manifold, so the "stuffers" actually match my intake floors perfectly, as can be seen in the aforementioned photos. i also have a bunch of build photos which will illustrate the before/after for you...as well as flowsheets from the development, including velocity profiles etc. feel free to email me at my regular address...but make mention of the cleveland cylinder head reference, as i get too much junkmail, and i'm liable to dump it otherwise. Duke