Limits of the stock oil pan.

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

sbcnova

Limits of the stock oil pan.

#1 Post by sbcnova » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:42 pm

My car has recently developed oil pressure problems under heavy accerlation or launching. Im lead to believe that this may be because Im still using the stock oil pan. When I bring the revs up in neutral the pressure is fine. I havent had any problems until this week. The engine normaly runs around 65 psi of prssure at WOT. When I launch it now it will drop to aprox 20 psi and it slowly builds back up.

drummondracing
Location: Colonial Beach VA If I am not at home or the track then I am probably at HOOTERS

oil pan

#2 Post by drummondracing » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:33 pm

I am not sure if the oil pan is the culprit both my luv and my buick have high volume/high pressure pumps in them with stock oil pans and carry consistent 75-85 pounds of oil pressure. Are you using the stock pickup? I have seen them pivot down and suck to the pan. I dont want to be a party pooper but it could be something more serious.Years ago I had a ford truck in high school that lost oil pressure so I put in a new pump, no luck it had about 10#s so thinking I got a bad pump I tried another,still no luck. I tried flushing the motor many time to no avail. The motor ran fine with no noise but no oil pressure. I decided to check the bearings a little worn but none bad or spun. Finally after talking to an old timer I had the cam bearings replaced and guess what that was the problem. I am not saying this is your problem but who would have thought cam bearings could cause so much trouble. 8-)
74 chevy luv 355 sbc bracket car
70 Nova SS bracket / t.n.t car.
(Yes REAL SS 396 DISCS 12B0LT ETC)

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE 68-74 NOVAS

TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sbcnova

#3 Post by sbcnova » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:06 pm

In neutral the pressure is fine though. Thats whats making me think either pickup is messed up or maybe the baffling isnt doing its job.

mytmouz

#4 Post by mytmouz » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:49 pm

If it was working fine and then started doing this, I'd look elsewhere.
Trucks are for haulin...