New cheater kit. What else do I need?

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

1nicenova

New cheater kit. What else do I need?

#1 Post by 1nicenova » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:00 pm

I have just about everything now to install my new 582 into my nova. Lemons shipped my headers out on Wednesday. Dynamic is going to be done with my trans on Teusday. I have John's old 20 gal fuel cell to install also. So then I will have everything I need to put the engine in finally. Should be a whole new animal from the old 427 I had in it for the last 5 years.
I sprung for a cheater kit for this engine as well. I always wanted one on the 427. Gapped the rings for it and everything, but never got around to putting one on it. I bought the basic dominator flange cheater kit. The engine is a low deck 582 & dynoed a 822 hp with 9.98:1 comp. Only plan on spraying 150 until I get used to it. I have a Magnafuel 500 pump to run both on. An msd digital 6 box with 2 step & single stage retard & msd pro billet dist. So I should be good there.
Do I need things like a controller or window switch, blow down tube, better micro switch bracket, relay for solenoids, better regulator than standard holleys, purge solenoid, nitrous pressure guage or can I get by without some of these things. Does NHRA require a blow down tube? Car is not a weekend racer. Will only see the track a couple of times a year for t&t until we get a heads up class. Other than that it's driven mostly on the street. Thanks. You guys have a great site here. I will try and track most of this install with pictures and hopefully my 1st. 10 then 9 sec. videos & see if I can put something back into this site. Thanks for your help. Added a couple of pictures of the engine and car it's going into.
Attachments
house pictures 068.JPG
house pictures 067.JPG
'69 Nova minitubbed
3620 lbs
Caltracs/split monos
29.5 10.5W mt's
Pump gas 555
9.84 @ 137.25 1.41 60' on the motor
9.44 @ 144.6 on 125 shot 1.45 60'
new best 60' 1.382 on motor 4500 launch

sc racing

#2 Post by sc racing » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:44 pm

Very nice Nova, looks great.you need a blowoff tube if the bottle is in passenger compartment but not in the trunk as long as you have a sealed firewall.Do you run at Lebanon Valley?I have some comments about the Dynamic tranny but I'll keep them to myself.Hopefully its a glide and you get a good one.

mytmouz

#3 Post by mytmouz » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:04 pm

A pressure gauge is a must, IMO.
Trucks are for haulin...

1nicenova

#4 Post by 1nicenova » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:06 pm

sc racing,

Yes I run at Lebanon.
I guess you had a bad experience with dynamic? I hope it was the Dynamic in delaware and not conneticut. I have heard nothing but good about them so far. Most of the guys at lebanon who race every week use them. They can't be any worse than what I had before. Which was a trans and converter from GER. I'm sure everyone has heard a bad word about them. My trans is a t-400. That came from GER. Dynamic is setting it up with their brake valve body, center support, cutting of the bell and putting on an sfi one. And their powerpack rebuild. I do hope I get a good one. I've had a lot of bad luck with trannys and converters in the past. I do know a couple of guys running dynamic trannies and have had good luck with them. They stand behind their product and have been in business for a long time. Hopefully I wont have to use their warranty.
Thanks for the info on the blow down tube. It was on my wish list to purchase. I'm mounting the bottle in the trunk & I do have a rear firewall. If I dont need the blow down, do I need one of the blow off caps though or is the bottle fine the way it is in the trunk?
'69 Nova minitubbed
3620 lbs
Caltracs/split monos
29.5 10.5W mt's
Pump gas 555

mytmouz

#5 Post by mytmouz » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:23 pm

The bottle should have a pressure relief on it. It is located where the blowdown tube goes. Apurge is nice, also.
Trucks are for haulin...

1nicenova

#6 Post by 1nicenova » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:09 am

tporter_02 wrote:The bottle should have a pressure relief on it. It is located where the blowdown tube goes. Apurge is nice, also.
Thanks. I thought so but wasnt sure.

Sc racing,
I forgot, thanks for the kind words on the car. It's not bad, it's a 20 footer now. It's been neglected along side my garage for over a year sitting in the rain & snow. I'm just about done building my new house, and had to put the car on hold for a while. Could use another wet sanding and buff.
'69 Nova minitubbed
3620 lbs
Caltracs/split monos
29.5 10.5W mt's
Pump gas 555

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:27 am

Relay for the solenoids would be a good idea, they take too much current for switches, so would a window switch to prevent the rev limiter from hitting when the nitrous is on. It's not a necessity but a good safety feature. Nitrous pressure guage that you can see when you're staging so you can purge down to where you want it at.

sc racing

#8 Post by sc racing » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:02 am

Its the same Dynamic in Branford . I had been dealing with Harold (the father) for over 15 years and had lots of good luck with their trannys until he built a bad one and wouldnt make good on it. I went to his shop personally to take care of the
problem and he all but physically through me out.The Dynamic in Delaware is Frank Lupo's place, Harolds old partner they had different ideas on how to build converters so Frank went out on his own. Maybe they changed some things and your stuff will work good.A lot of their converters used to have too much slippage in high gear.
Oh shit!!! I just remembered I have a Dynamic 8" Im using in my car!!!!!!!!!!

1nicenova

#9 Post by 1nicenova » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:23 pm

John,
Thanks for the tips. I have those items on my wish list and will get them before using the spray. There is a couple of different window switches out there. Which is a good one to start with? I've seen some cheap ones & some higher priced ones like the nos brand one. I see nos has a new mini controller out too that has rpm on off control built in. How difficult is it to set up the nitrous to not come on while on the transbrake. I know there is another relay involved there somewhere.

sc racing,
I hope the trans i'm getting works good as well. They, Harold and RJ(i think) seem like nice people and I know some racers and friends that have had good look with them for years. They seemed very honest and weren't trying to sell me anything that I didn't need. I did not use their conveter though. I used Trans Specialties for the converter. I was surprised when I told Dynamic that I bought a T-Specialties converter and they said I made a good decision. Usually one always has something bad to say about the other.(converter companies in general) I was real close to using them for the trans rebuild as well but could'nt get down that way and it wasn't worth it to ship my trans to them. The trans is supposed to be done early this week. It will be a couple of weeks before I get to try it out.

Word to the wise. If your thinking about building your own house. Dont!
Just buy one.
'69 Nova minitubbed
3620 lbs
Caltracs/split monos
29.5 10.5W mt's
Pump gas 555

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:19 pm

If you're just starting off and don't have an ignition, I'd highly recommend the MSD7531 Digital 7 box, it has everything you can possibly need including the window switch feature. With that box there's no need to buy chips, separate boxes,etc.

Nitrous Controllers - there's a number available out there, right now one of the most popular is the Edelbrock Progressive Controller. I personally like the Highpower Maximizer which has everything you can think of built in. The new version is called the Max Extreme which has even more features, but it's not cheap.

I have a diagram I just made for Adam (aka 79 Camaro) that I can send you that has the transbrake relay, Dynotune timer and MSD 8956 window switch.

sc racing

#11 Post by sc racing » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:04 pm

I guess everybody has a bad experience with somebody at one time or another........what can you do.

1nicenova

#12 Post by 1nicenova » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:40 am

John,
That programmable digital 7 is nice. I looked at them before. But couldn't justify it for the setup I had before, just running on motor. So I bought the digital 6 which is what I still have. I am thinking about using the new nos mini controller. It looks like it has everything I would need and the price isn't too bad. Also seems fairly easy to use. The setup you recommended also looks like a good route to go with the dynotune timer. I see they are only $70 on "feebay". Thanks
'69 Nova minitubbed
3620 lbs
Caltracs/split monos
29.5 10.5W mt's
Pump gas 555