exceptable pressure drop

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

julven

exceptable pressure drop

#1 Post by julven » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:32 pm

What is the exceptable amount of pressuse drop at activation?We are seeing a half to three fourths a pound before recovery.This is on a Magnafuel Prostar 500 pump.I just thought on this big pump there would be none.

sunsation540

#2 Post by sunsation540 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:18 pm

is this a return style reg or a dead headed reg???if the return is at the pump the fuel still has to react with the rest of the fuel in the line to recover the for the usage of the contained fuel>>!
make a plan and stick to it !!

julven

#3 Post by julven » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:56 pm

It has the standard return at the pump and then it is bascialy dead headed.I have .024 bleeds at the solenoid and after the reg on the motor. Single pump system. This is a Big Shot set around 200hp.I have a Prostar 300 on another car and never seem to see a drop so it raised a little flag. Thanks!

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:13 pm

A full bypass system will see less of a drop at the hit. You might also try turning up the pump pressure.

sunsation540

#5 Post by sunsation540 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:18 pm

2X that ,if you have the returns at the solenoids it should not drop at all .altenator or battery? but a small increase at the pump reg may be needed. NOTE i was reading last night and i have been using the single jet method to flow my nos fuel side at the reg. i don't use at least to date no more than 175.shot but i use the square root method 20x20x8= 3200 sq=56.65 i have been using this jet.. found out that this is not the jet size but the surface area you need to convert it to the jet.. i have been doing it wrong for 10 years.. dumb johnny.!!!
make a plan and stick to it !!

julven

#6 Post by julven » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:02 pm

I hate this car! Not realy but it make me mad.We made two passes last night because we worked on it at the track.I always look at the guys at the track working on there cars and think why didn't they have all that lined out before they came.( I under stand adjustment Just not the car strung all over the place as I did.LOL!)Well I got mine last night!The fuel pressure will not stay steady it jumps all over the place. You can start the car and it will have the gauges pegged then the next time it will only have 3 on the nos side flowing and when it just had 5.5 (Engine side does the same things)the time before then shut the nos off and it will peg the gauge and not come back till you shut it off(The pump).We took the regulators off and cleaned them and the balls were sticky but it still was not right.We are going to put a gauge at the pump outlet and see what it is at but we backed it down a bunch and also increased it to see no change.Needless to say we got mad and loaded it up and went home.We are going to go through everthing on the fuel system this week and clean it all. So I will be giving you guys a shout this week with questions I am sure.Thanks! Jason

julven

#7 Post by julven » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:58 pm

Is a .024 jet to small of a bleed for my setup ? What sizes are you you two running?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:07 pm

.024 is plenty big. I have .018x2 in mine at the solenoids.

julven

#9 Post by julven » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 pm

I am going back to the track tonight so we will see what happens.Right now the gauges are staying steady and not jumping around.

ERV JR

#10 Post by ERV JR » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:34 pm

WHAT DID YOU DO THAT CHANGES THE DROP ?

julven

#11 Post by julven » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:56 am

We took the whole system apart from front to back and cleaned every check ball or moving part with brake cleaner.The drop is basicaly gone or exceptable to what I thought it should be.This may sound dumb but it is like a slight bump of the needle now. On the engine side we think that we have a junk regulator. The ball hangs to one side everyonce in while when playing with it. I did order a fitting from XRP to check the pump pressure be cause that is one thing I don't know what it is right now. It all seemed to work well last night it went 6.60s in the 1/8 and has alot left in the tune it is very rich. We had a good time last night.