New to the gas.

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Stroker548

New to the gas.

#1 Post by Stroker548 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:25 pm

First off let me say that this is a great site. Now to the good stuff, I have never ran nitrous on anything but I have the itch. All opinions are welcome cause I really dont know that much. Anyway here is my plan. Car is a 80 Malibu with a 548 BBC, 14 to 1, solid roller cam, Ported Dart 320's, ported Dart intake, Hooker SC 2" headers, and a 1050 Chuck Nyutten carb. Turbo 400 with brake, an 9 inch Hughes converter that stalls about 4400. 4-link with Afco double adjustable shocks, Dana 60 with 5.13 gears. All stock front suspension with CE adjustable shocks. Car weighs 3370 with me in it. Has ran a best of 9.77 at 135 with a 1.28 60' (on the rear tires). I am looking to spray enough to get me in the high 8's. I was thinking of a NOS Big Shot around 200 horse, with a dedicated fuel system. I am currently using 2 Holley blue pumps to feed the motor, and was going to use them for the system and upgrade to a Aeromotive A2000 for the engine. Engine is built with good internals (JE,Callies,Eagle,Bowtie block) so it should be able to take 200 pretty easy. Am I on the right track with this set-up or am I missing something. I really like the looks of a fogger but on a limited budget as of now. Is there a better nitrous company than NOS? I was going with them because they have been around forever. Are the Holley blue pumps enough for what I want? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance :thumb:
1980 Malibu, 548 NA BBC, Turbo 400 w/t-brake, Dana 60 w/5.13 gears, 33x17 Goodyear slicks. Best time to date 9.77 at 135mph. No spray. YET!!

1quickchevy2

Re: New to the gas.

#2 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:30 pm

Wow nice set up man, I like the pick in the Avatar section as well. NOS is probably going to be the most cost effective route to go, but i've had Nitrous solenoids that dont work from brand new from them. Kinda a piss off. A couple of my buddy's have had good results with Nitrous Xpress. At least they have updated their solenoids since the 70's (unlike NOS). NX is probably the second lest expensive i'll mention. Then there's the Wilson Manifolds Pro Flow gear, top notch, but pricey. I was going to run their 2 stage 4150 plate, but last second i changed my mind and bought a progessive set up from High Power Systems outta Great Brittan. Pretty expensive though because the Canadian to Brittish Pound exchange rate sucks. I'm just currently getting i set up, so i'll have to update you in the future how it works out for me. John Heard the Moderator on this site, might be able to let you know his results. The High Power Plate is kind of like direct port, check it out.

Stroker548

#3 Post by Stroker548 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Thank you. Never heard of the High Power system. From the looks of that plate it seems like it would be killer tho. Might have to do a little research on them.
1980 Malibu, 548 NA BBC, Turbo 400 w/t-brake, Dana 60 w/5.13 gears, 33x17 Goodyear slicks. Best time to date 9.77 at 135mph. No spray. YET!!

ProCar

#4 Post by ProCar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:11 pm

The Holley blue pumps will make a nice paper weight. They internally bypass, which causes a lull when the solenoids open. It won't hurt the motor, but it will make it hesitate. Run everything off a pump that can hold a line pressure of 24 psi. This ensures that when the solenoid opens, the fuel pressure recovers fast. Nitrous systems do not have a float bowl as carbs do. The gear ratio has to go. 4.56's will likely be close, and a 9" converter may not hold the motor at the bottom of the shift esp. with lower gears. Still, it might, so try it. I have had great success with NX, but at 200 hp they are all pretty good.

Put travel limiters on it if you have wheelie issues now. N20 is all about torque, it'll really git up there. I've been tuning on these things for years, so feel free to post, and if I can help, I will. There are some others here that are real sharp, too.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:49 am

That A2000 you have will easily supply enough fuel for both the engine and the nitrous system, that's the same pump I have on my car running everything. I would highly recommend a full bypass setup though because if you're running a rear mounted tank with that pump you'll find there is a drop in pressure at launch due to the g-forces involved. A full bypass setup will get rid of that problem.

Expect at least another 1000 rpm more stall on the converter, or more if it can't hold it with the juice. With those 5.13's and a Turbo 400, even with a big tire that's way more gear than it's going to want.

Stroker548

#6 Post by Stroker548 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks guys, I was wondering about those Holley pumps, they have worked well for the engine but like you said nitrous systems dont have float bowls. Not really familiar with a bypass fuel system, is that where you return the un needed fuel back to the tank? So if I run the one big pump, I wouldnt need another small fuel cell, correct? Just run a y-block with one line to the carb regulator and another line for the system regulator? How does the un needed fuel get back to the tank? I really dont want to change alot of stuff like gears and converter, because the nitrous will not be ran all the time. Just for fun on some test and tune nights. And as far as the wheelstands go, I have it set up that way. I like going about 80 foot with the wheels way up (its really fun and the chicks dig it :smt003 ) I was going to use one of them fancy progressive controllers to ramp it up starting at about 1 second after I let go of the T-brake. I was looking at the Jacobs unit (because its fairly cheap). Does it work OK? Thanks again. I really appreciate the advice. P.S. Thanks to whoever set up my avatar :thumb:

1quickchevy2

#7 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:20 am

Hello Stroker, check out the fuel pluming thread rate next door in the nirous section there's some good pics

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:32 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2644 is the fuel plumbing thread.

Oh come on, go for it - bring all 200 in right at the hit! :twisted:

All I can say is good thing you got wheelie bars lol

ProCar

#9 Post by ProCar » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:29 pm

200h is gonna require a change in your driveline. It's the same difference in power/torque between a 468 and a 572, if not more. Either it is done right and you can't believe you never used the stuff before, or it is not done right and stuff gets hurt. If you have a 3 speed, the converter can be 'too tight' for motor runs and still accelerate very well due to the gear multiplication. Nitrous loves load, and it will really run through a converter downtrack. Forget any of the progressive stuff, the only way to properly control nitrous is with a digital seven box, or just run it straight away. 200h at the hit will run much quicker than 300 on a progressive for any period of time. A near must is a playback tach, so you can observe rpm drop at the shift and slip at the top end. This knowledge can mean tenths on spray and off.

Remember, nitrous doesn't hurt parts, people do. Enjoy the moon shot wheel stands, but realize that nitrous, properly tuned, will hit harder than you understand if you've never used it; prepare the car for the add'l torque. The chicks will dig your new low et's, too.

Stroker548

#10 Post by Stroker548 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:01 am

Wow. This could get expensive quick. I understand that the driveline is not the best for spray, but like I said it will only be used for some test and tune nights. The car runs really consistent as a bracket car now, and would like to keep it that way. Is there another smaller system that I could just bolt on and go (safely)? I only had about 2 grand to spend on this little adventure, so another set of gears and a new converter are out of the question. When I had this converter built, I told them it could see nitrous in the future, so its got the anti-ballooning plates and the good stuff in there already. Thanks again guys :thumb:

Canadian Guy

#11 Post by Canadian Guy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Get a NOS cheater system and be done with it. Easy to install, not to complicated and if you use the jets they say its on the rich side so it's safe to use. Here is a link to the one i am talking about. Not to expensive either.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

It's adjustable so if it's to much for you then you can just dial it back. Did you have the ring gap's opened up a bit to run NOS when the engine was built? If not stay under 200hp and you should not have any problems. I ran NOS sytems for years on my SBC and I only trashed one engine with a crack in the cylinder wall and it was creaming the oil with coolant. Other than that the NOS plate system worked great for me!
71 Camaro
My first car - owned 31 years now
582 Shafiroff BBC 768HP + 726TQ
Best so far 10.49@130

ProCar

#12 Post by ProCar » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:44 pm

4400 is a good place to start, but it's the gear... I know I sound like a c*ck blocker, I've been there, that's all. This stuff is so slick, the temptation is hard to resist- pilling it up.

Bob West

#13 Post by Bob West » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:18 pm

I'd lose the gear too, no way with that motor, that car weight that you need 5.13's, add nitrous and it will be worse. I bet you can get away with 4.30 ish gears with tall slicks.
72 Malibu-Nov. '08-1.329-3.995-6.280@106.94-9.988@131.62
best 60ft to date- 1.319
http://www.dragtimes.com/1972-Chevrolet ... -5251.html

Stroker548

#14 Post by Stroker548 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:12 pm

I would have never thought it would like 5.13 either, but I have had 4.11, 4.56, 4.88 and now the 5.13. It has ran its best with these in there. :scratch: Crossin the lights at around 7200, with the 33" tall tires.